Kahle hooks, what size ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyron4, Jul 8, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Okay, this morning I hooked into a 10 lbs. Flatty,( saw it come to the surface) only to have it "let go" after the hookset.This was the second time this happened in two weeks. The reel pays out line for about 10 sec., I reel in the slack , and set the hook. Now I'm I doing something wrong ? Should I let the fish run longer than 10 seconds with a 6" chub? I believe it's from too small hooks, but want to rule out me also.
    I was useing 3/0 Eagle Claw offset bait holder (084) hooks with a curved point. They're in the junk box now. I've read the input and researched Kahle (wide gap) hooks here on the site. Seems they're very popular. Looking at them they would seem less likely to hook a fish than a "J" hook, but that's looks. Everyone swears by them and I can't argue with real world results. So it's safe to say they out preform the "J" hooks when using live bait. I use 5"-6" live chubs the tickness of a broom stick, or 4"-6" 'gills. I hook them behind the dorsal fin in the back.The cats around here run 5-12 lbs. on average, some 15-30lbs but not real common for me. Would a 5/0 Kahle be the right size for my bait and fish ? Is one brand better than another ? I'm leaning towards Eagal Claw Laser Wide Gap (Kahle) hooks. Are they sharp enough out of the box ? Is Mustad a better choice ? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm still trying to learn the right way to do things.
    -Thank you:sad2:

2. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    After looking at Cabela's web site they have , 3 types of Eagle Claw laser Kahle hooks; straight eye, turned up eye, and turned up eye with offset. Is one style better than another ?

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used #8 Kahle for Bluegill and bait including saltwater Croaker and Whiting.I caught Bowfin to 7 lbs.,Rays & Toad fish.Big fish swallow it.I used 7/0 Kahle with 4-6'' Bluegill for Bait.I caught Bowfin to 7 lbs.You figure it,I cain;t.I have them to 10/0.I found the 7/0 and below much cheaper than the 8/0 and above at Bass Pro.#1 to #2/0 hooks are fine for the Bullheads and frying size cats that I target.Now if I could catch a 7 lb.Catfish,I might could answer your question.Luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee