Kahle Hooks: Should I set the hook?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Blacky, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Last year, the rig I used was a sliding sinker rig with a 3 to 6 oz bank sinker, with a 2 foot mono leader with a 7 or 8 ot gamakatsu octopus hook.

This year, I plan on using the traditional rig with the no-roll sinker, bead, and kahle hooks.

My question is, do you set the hook like a octopus hook, or do you just reel like a circle hook?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I generally set a kahle but I think the fish might be hooked some times allready from the way the rod is bowed when I set

3. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i believ most of mine were already set but i still cant resist. i cant use circles because setting the hook is half the fun.

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    They will set them self if a fish is on a hard run,just keep the line tight and the rod tip up like you would with a circle hook. But you can set them as well just as you would a J hook. When I use them I set them most of the time.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I set mine but old habits are hard to break:big_smile:

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Sometimes I set, sometimes I don't. Hookup rate is about the same. In winter, I find that the cats hook themselves, go off and play or something, never tightening the line. Then, when I reel in, the catfish is on the line.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Personally I love seeting the hook. Thats just part of the fun of fishing to me. But one of the advantages of using kahle hooks is they can be used either way with about the same hook up ratio.

8. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I sitm the hook hard

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is the beauty of Kahle Hooks, "They are the Best of Both Worlds"!!!
    You can set them or the fish will. They are almost idiot-proof, LOL!!!

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    JW I agree,anyone should be able to catch fish with them.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well stated JW. (Idiot Proof) I agree. I use Kahle because I love to set the Hook. Keeps the kinks out of my sholders and arms.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thanks a million for the quick response fellas!!

I was busy watching Peyton and teh Colts take it home!

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Now with my next question about the no-roll sinkers,

Will i get snagged less using them?? i fish below ams where it's really snaggy and lost about $150 worth of weights last years.

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I BELIEVE YOU CAN FISH EITHER WAY BUT I REALLY ENJOY SETTING THE HOOK WHEN FISHING WITH KAHLES.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have had less snag with the no-rool sinkers I use most 6 to 8 oz. as for the hook kahles will set themselfs most of the time but you can still set them. with circle hooks the fish most set it and thats where I have troubles at time alot of the fish here fust won't load up the rod that hard to set the hook. I seem to catch 50% more fish off the kahle hooks

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hey John is that advice offered as a self confessed success story?:big_smile: :lol: :smile2:

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is hard to get anything past you Jim, LOL!!!:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

18. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    John, I'm glad you said "almost" idiot proof. LOL.

19. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I always set the hook with kahle hooks I use strike king whisker kahles they are double barbed if you can try these You can get them at bass pro shops dont know what the largest 0/0 they come in I use 2/0 and 4/0

20. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    To save money buy a no roll sinker mold and melting pot make ypur own lead you can go to the junk yard and get weight off of car wheels I usually get a five gallon bucket full then melt it this will be alot of sinkers also I use these in heavy cover areas I snag alot less than with egg weights