Kahle hooks or regular J hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by master_cat, Feb 5, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im thinkin of switching to kahle hook i was wondering if u have to do anything difrent when using them are they better then the regular plain jane hooks do they have a better hook set ratio thanks for any input

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Khale hooks work fine for catfish. Seem to recall that the hookup ratio was better than J hooks. The work fine with live bait and come in some pretty decent sizes too. I like them, but haven't used J hooks for catfishing much, other than ultralight stuff when fishing for gills and got a catfish instead.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I started using kahle hooks several years ago. I feel I get better hookup ratio with them.I use them because of the wide gap.You fish them the same as J hooks.

4. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    My hookup ratio has definitely gone up since I switched to Kahles a few years ago. I have about 6 or 7 different sizes so I pretty much use them in almost every application.

5. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    But ,, do you guys prefer the Kahles over the Circle hooks?
    I mainly use Circle hooks, but I bought some Kahle hooks to use this summer. Do you let them run with the Kahle hook like you do a Circle hook? Or what and/or how do you guys prefer to use the Kahle hooks?

6. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have found that fish will hook them self on a kahle hook some to most of the time. But I prefer to set them when I feal them with it in their mouth swimming away.

David Frantz

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Prefer Kahle Hooks Over J Hooks Or Circles, You Fish Them The Same As J Hooks, Meaning That You Still Set The Hook. I Think The Hook Up Ratio Is Alot Better With Kahles Than J Hooks, Especially For Not Gut Hooking The Fish, And For Me The Hook Up Ratio Is Better With Kahles Than Circles, Plus I Really Enjoy Setting The Hook. MasterCat What Part Of TN Are You From ?

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Oh, lord, anything but circles. Lol!!.

9. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've caught cats from 23# to so small I couldn't weight them. Like about 3". I do set the hook. Hook sets have been good and haven't lost any as yet due to pull off. ( Maybe I shouldn't have said that) But it's true.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I guess I'll have to be a little different but I don't set the hook with the Ks.I like them better than circles for the simple reason that the gap is wider.I feel the hook-up ratio is far better than conventional Js and you CAN set the hook if you want to but generally it isn't necessary.I use Eagle Claw Lazer sharps 7/0 in nickel finish so they don't rust.Personally the Ks are a perfect compromise for people like me that want the corner of the mouth circle type hook up,with a much wider gap.Having said that the Daiichi Circle Chunks have a very large gap and may be the best of all.I drift fish a lot and also set up and the fish just seem to nail themselves by the time I get to the rod.

11. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I switched to the Kahle yearsback and I like them just fine. but i do find myself using the reg long shank J still
    And as far as circles ..I have 3 packs of them but Im still uncomfortable about watching my rod jump around with out my grabbing and setting

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, kahles are the best of both worlds. They are self-hooking like circle hooks, but unlike circles, if you set the hook (like with J hooks), it doesn't pull the hook out of the fish's mouth. The only time I use circle hooks is in heavy cover where J hooks or kahle hooks tend to hang up too frequently. I seldom use anything but kahle hooks when fishing with rod & reel. I switched to kahle hooks on my jugs for one season, and had a better hookup ratio, but switched back to J hooks because the kahles rusted out faster, and had a small eye that didn't work well on my juglines.

13. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have used Khale since I found them about 5 years ago. I bank fish mostly with a tight line, and have great success with channels hookin up themselves. When the fiddlers are around they don't seem to get hooked. However they'll nibble, I tend to know when I get the one I want. LOL. I have used Circles from shore, and much prefer Khale hooks.

14. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I prefer kahles over circles.I generaly dont let em run,I set the hook hard.Settin the hook is part of the fun.Circles arent designed that way.I sometimes use the circles on jugs or in heavy cover:cool:

15. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I agree 100% great post

16. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I started out useing Khale hooks and caught my first two channels on them,
    but the second one i caught i don't know how because it was only holding on
    with a little bit of meat, I set the hook when that happened that might of been why but then i started missing some fish so i got a pack of octopus- circle hook and have had a real good luck with them, I still have some of those khale hooks i got a pack of 50 when i bought them so i'm gonna try them out agian since everyone like them here.Maybe i'll start loving em.

17. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    I'll give a thumbs up for the kahle hooks. I tried the circle hooks along side with the kahle hooks this year and found that the kahles had a better hookup rate. I'm not knocking the circle hooks, because they do catch fish. One of the largest fish we caught this year came off a circle hook. It's just my personal prefrence.

I do not set the hook, I let the fish hook themselves. With that being said, I really think that each style of hook is best when used in the right conditions. I primarily fish in heavy current and target big fish, so the Kahles work very well for me. When I tried this in lakes with no current I started missing a few bites, in this situation setting the hook might be a better option, especially if the bite is really light. So in this case the j-style hook might be a better option.

Any style of hook will catch fish, just some hooks work better in certain conditions, so go out there a try fishing with the different styles and sizes of hooks and figure which works best for you. Oh yeah, and have fun trying.:) :)

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    In the past, I would use both kahle and circle hook. This year I went strictly to kahle. My hook-up rate has improved. I also have found away to use a kahle with dip bait. Works very well!!

19. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i would go w/ khales definitely. i tried circles, not much success. khales you can cross their eyes if u want to, or many times they'll set the hook themselves. all the ones ive caught on khales have been hooked right in the corner of the mouth. i like them alot better than trebles, cuz usually i hook them on the inside of their mouth, almost their throat. unfortunately all i have right now is dip bait and treble hook bait holders. but u can bet once i get some live bait ill be back usin my beloved khales.

hey top-how do u use dip bait w/ khales? are u using those khales w/ the springs around them? fill me in, cuz i like the dip bait im usin, but not so much the treble hooks.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    What size kahles do you use I can tell you how to use the dip bait with the kahles if you would like for me to explain.