Kahle Hooks for Yo-Yo's or Trotlines?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by vetrock, May 7, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I will be trotlining and Yo Yoing this weekend on a river that produces a lot of smaller cats (3-10 lbs).

I am making a trotline and will be setting out a few yo yos. I have some Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp 4/0 hooks available. I'll be using minnows and caught small perch for bait. Will these hooks work, or should I get some J hooks instead?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've always used J hooks on mine and have done good but have been thinking about trying circle hooks on a trotline since they basically hook themselves when they load up.

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    On the trotline, I'd use circles. 5/0 or 6/0 Eagle Claw
    For the yo-yos, I'd use a regular J hook.

:004:

4. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Well, I got a trotline ready today and alternated kahle and J hooks. I will let you know if I see a difference. Setting it out tomorrow.

5. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I caught equal amounts of kahle and the j hook. The Kahle hook is harder to get out of the fish's mouth, which tells me it holds a fish better. But, it may also be harder to set. I don't know.

We caught 22 cats in 2 days. 3 trotlines the 1st day, and 2 the next. A good weekend. The biggest was a 8 lb flathead. Most were 2-3 lbs, which is juuuussstttt right for eating. I am cooking my wife a mother's day fish fry tonight.