Kahle hooks for Carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by PaJay-p, Dec 2, 2009.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Does anyone use them? I was wondering if they could be used on hair rigs. Or just put the bait on them and go at it.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive caught a few on kahles and boilies but never tried a hair rig on a kahle..maybe a small kahle

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    A key element in the tying of a hair rig is to get the line through the eye of the hook in the proper direction. Tag end goes through the eye toward the point of the hook. :wink:

Ray

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    why does it matter about the line and hook?

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i think it help with the turn and set when the fish bolts

6. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Notoriously carp put the bait into their mouths and "blow" the bait out to clean the bait from the bottom debris. With the line in the proper direction the hook point catches on the bottom bottom lip when the carp blows the bait out causing the fish to bolt and hook itself. Hope this helps.

Ray

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree the way the tag end goes in the eye makes a differrance

8. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    These are the ones that I use. I do occasionally hair-rig them but they work fine, with just putting the bait directly on them. These hooks are made all the way down to a size 12. If you load a size 1 or 1/0 all the way from the barb to the eye, it is kind of like it's own hair-rig. Give some of the smaller sizes a try also. They are great fun.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0002909112937a.shtml

9. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dislike kahle hooks for hair rigging, I have not found them to be worth purchasing for that use. I would only use them kif I had no other options. For hair rigs I prefer small hooks with a thick gauge, or nailer style fly hooks. I use owners nailer pattern, but tiemco has a smaller diameter one as well, but not ideal for the 25+lb river fish I go for.