Kahle Hook Questions

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by anakin, Apr 4, 2007.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I just order four different packs of Eagle Claw Kahles from Cc ranging in sizes from 2/0 - 10/0 King Kahles. I was wondering if all of the Kahles can bring in the big boys? Is there a big different between the nickle coated,black, bronze & SS ones as far as strength is concerned? I'd hate to lose a big one to a bronze hook straighting out. Has anyone had any issues like this with Kahles.

Im pretty excited about the new hooks cuz Ive always felt that my hooks were the weak link in my setup. Thanks in advance.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dwaine you will love the Kahle hooks you ordered. I use from 7/0- 10/0 Khales and have had no problems. The size of the hook is determined by the size of bait fish you are going to use. I like the kahle because I set the rod hard and drive the hook home. Circle hooks are good but I can't wait while the fish sets the hook. Good Luck.:lol: :wink:

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Mickey and I use the same size 7/0 to 10/0. I haven't had any problems reeling in the bigguns with these. I prefer the stainless because of the corrosion If i'm using them in saltwater. I think your gonna like them when you get to give them a test. Don't forget to post some pics of your catch.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I LIKE THE EAGLE CLAW KAHLE AND KING KAHLE I USUALLY USE 4/0, 7/0, 9/0 10/0 AND I'VE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I CAUGHT AN 8# CHANNEL ON A 2/0 AND GOT IT IN WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Dwain,You will love those Eagle Claw Kahles.That is most always what I use.I don't use the stainless steel hooks though beause unlike the the nickle coated hooks they will NOT Detirate(Spelling) in the fishes mouth if you should hook the Catfish and loose it in a snag or a knot fails I use mostly 6/0 through 10/0 I have only lost ONE Flat (Super Large) because of a hook straightning out on Me and some of that was My Falt because I tried to horse the fish in before he was ready.I was ancored over a hole in the Missouri River and fishig right under the boat useing an Abu Morrium 7000CL pared with a Bekley E-Cat #4 and #80 Power Pro Braid so I Knew that Bad Boy was comming to the top and when he did I had the drag Cranked down, when he saw the boat and My lanteren That rascal took off!!! What a Stupid Mistake. I Have boated a fue in the 50/60 and one #71 pounder My PB. but that Flat was much Larger. Oh Well what can I say except I was STUPID.That was the One and Only time I have Ever had an Eagle Claw Kahle Fail this Old Iowa Boy. Tight lines My Friend. J.D.
    :0a26:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'm with J.D. in respect to stainless steel hooks. They should be outlawed for freshwater usage. Salt/tidal waters should be okay. I hate to see a fish die because the hook won't rust. Just bad business. I am not overly concerned about the line/knot failing... but what about the ones you hook deep and want to release. Be best just to kill the fish right then than to release it with a ss hook in its gullet.

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Kahle hooks are strong enough for me as are most others.Have had more broken lines than straightened hooks.I do not use stainless hooks in any water because of them killing more fish.I do some salt water fishing and use plain steel hooks and don't see much rust or corrosion if they are cleaned in fresh water and a little Wd-40.
    Jake

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have used and will continue to use the nickel plated hooks from 5/0 - 7/0 and the black Pearl King Kahles from 8/0 - 10/0. They are great hooks, Really sharp straight out of the box,Priced low enough that they are affordable, and will get the job done.
    As has been mentioned unless you are using them in salt water I would not recomend the SS hooks.
    I have not used the bronze hooks but have heard bad things about them straightening out on bigger fish. This may or may not be true but for this reason I would not recomend them either.