Kahle Hook problem...

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Gibbzilla, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    When using nightcrawlers on a kahle hook, I have problems keeping the worm from near the point of the hook. As long as the very point and barb aren't covered, does it not matter where the bait is? If it does matter where the bait is, how can I keep the bait away from the point?

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As long as the worm stays on the hook, it doesn't matter what part of the hook it's on.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Worms are soft enough that it shouldn't matter if they cover the point of the hook. It will only give the fish a bigger surprize when he takes the bait, LOL!!!

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    thats not true, remember when you were using your barbie rod with the pastic worm casting practice plug and that blue took it. that worm wasnt soft enough. LOL just messin with ya man

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    But that was before I decided to use my Spiderman pole, it was a little stronger and allowed a better hookset, LOL!!!

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have always put the point and barb into my worms and most other soft baits.I hook it where the hook is almost coming back out.When you don;t,you may sometimes find your bait clean up on your line or leader.The point and barb of the hook keep it from moving.The force of the bite normally forces the hook out of a soft bait and into a fishes mouth.Why do you want to keep the soft baits away from the point of the hook? I do like the point exposed on many baits.Split shot on the hook or line will normally keep bait from traveling.A set of stainless steel Morticians needles or Rigging needles are great for rigging any size live or dead baits to your satisfaction.The rigging needles and line can be ordered from Bass Pro.Years ago we had to get our needles from a Mortician at the Funeral Home.Any bait shop that caters to offshore sport fishermen normally carry them also.Large upholstery needles will work,but will rust easily.You can use them with any good strong sewing thread. I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i use baitholders, and smaller wide gap hooks for crawlers for that reason..

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    On a kahle hook it doesn't matter. One of my favorite baits is a small shad wormed on whole. with the point of the hook start in one eye socket and worm it on all the way down and bairly expose the point of the hook out the V of the tail. When you get a runner set the hook and set it hard. This is one of the advantages of using kahle hooks. This is a bait you cannot use with circle hooks, Just one of the reasons that I don't use them when pole fishing.

9. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    one thing ucando is stick a small peiec of styrofoam or closed cell foamit will hold it up off ur barb and more to the shank plus if a fish bites hard it willeither move break off or squish down so u can get a good hook set

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only thing I have found about kahle hooks that I don't like is the blasted things rust so fast. Even went to the Mustad site trying to find them in a stainless steel, although I once swore I wouldn't use a stainless steel because they won't rust and its bad news to release a fish with a hook still in it that won't rust. Only thing I know is if I cut off its head it will die for sure, whereas if I leave the ss hook it still has a chance for life.

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A food pot and pan spray such as "Pam" every now and then will stop the rust in your tackle box and it is environmentally friendly.I think you can even still get a Corn oil type that may help the bite.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I try and string the worm all the way thru the hook wrap the night crawler around itself and thru I try an leave just enough of the point exposed. Although I dont think it really makes much difference if necessary i leave the part of the worm hanging.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    PeeWee, I took some brand new kahle's to Keystone this past week. Put them in the line on Tuesday and had to discard them Sunday when we took the jugs up. I never saw a hook rust so fast while still in the water. I know they will rust in a tackle box, especially with just a little moisture to help them. I'll find some substitue...even if I have to go to circles. Grrrrrrrrr

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What brand Kahles are you using?I noticed that the Mustad were made of a thinner wire size for size when compared to the Eagle Claw.That does not necessarily mean that they are weaker.Mine are blued and are not rusting,but I don;t have them in the water very long like you do.I have the Mustad in the small #8 Kahle for Bluegill and bait.I have assorted Eagleclaw from #2 on up to the 10/0 which I have as yet to use.A #2 will handle the small Channel cats and Bullheads that I target.In our black waters we have a plentiful little chunky Bullhead that mostly runs 8-10 inches that is the best eating of all Cats to me.I wonder what the problem is with the rust?I love you brothers and Sisters.Peewee.

15. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have yet to use the kahle hooks but after a visit to Cabella's website and took a gander they look like something I would like to try. At this time I usually use a 4/0 off set shank worm hook and as far as the crawler problem my fix for that is that I put 2 fat crawlers on the hook. By the time you get them both on there you have a nice ball of worm and 4 ends flopping around and I can still keep the point exposed as much or little as I want to. I'll have to try it with some Kahle hooks.

Hope you catch the big one and show pictures;

Kirk

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you can cover the point on a kahle and still connect on a fish. they are usually a pretty stout hook, from my experiences with them.

awshucks, save those silica packets you get in shoes, or ask the people in shoe stores if you can have them, i have never been turned down once. two or three silica crystals will keeps your hooks from rusting. after the crystals turn dark, they have lost their capacity to take on moisture. either replace them or put them on a cookie sheet for a half hour. when they turn light again they are good to go. i also keep a tray of silica on each shelf of my gun safes, and it keeps them from getting rust. i went from having to clean them all once a month to every 6 months. three or four crystals in each hook compatment won't get in the way at all.
    hope this helps.