KAHLE & CIRCLE HOOKS

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by BIG_D, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    iv never used kale or circl hooks but am fixing to try both need a idea on what sizes works best in the river i fish mostly for big channel catfish but love to get into big flat heads as well need some input thanks all :cool2:

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    It depends on what size bait your using. I mostly fish with size 4-6.

3. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    I saw an Alan Warren Outdoors show last week, they were using circle hooks with shad on them on jug line and were catching blues in the 2.5-3# size. I think they used #1/0

Rubes

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When fishing for big Flatheads, I use a 9/0 Eagle Claw King Kahle hook and use live Bluegills for bait. I've tried circles for flatheads and dont like them. However when fishing for big blues or channels I will sometimes use a large circle hook with cut-bait and this seems to work well for me.:big_smile:

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kales were my first departure from the standard Old straight J's.
    The bunch I threw in with were drifting whole shad and Cut Shad in open water and were enjoying cranking more than their share to the boat.

Hooks were hooks til I tried them . They flat work as the Gap and hook set angle seem to suit how those channels eat.

Circles are still a mystery to lots of us , But I am warming up to them in a hurry. Especially when still fishing.
    Folks gather up a lot of high ground about what is best and most ethical..
    I don't know about all that but I have experince with all and believe we need to put as much energy into our rigs as we do our baits.
    Makes a heck of a difference day today and situation to situation.
    Try them all and Decide how to arm your self/ Its cheap to try them all and a lot of fun figuring it out first hand.

R Green

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks all for giving me a starting point
    Tricia i bet the walmart boys dident even know hooks had a size lol:smile2: thanks:cool2:

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Dallas,

IT really depends on what you are using for baits. Half a bluegill or what have you, I toss them on a 8/0 Gama Circle. Smaller shad chunks can go down to 3/0 Eagle Claw LAzer Sharps that you can pick up at walmart. Mind you, I have had those eagle claws before get bent and straightened out. A lot will depend on what is in the area too... bunch of eater channels, I would say maybe 4/0 or 5/0 should do you nice.

I am not a Kahle hook fishermen... so you are on your own with them.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    KINHG KAELS HANDS DOWN

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I love the kahle hooks I have used them for years. I like the hooking qualities
    of the circle hooks but I have trouble hooking shiners, brim, and shad I have
    to put more pressure to pierce there body and I think I injure them some times .

10. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    8/0 Eagle Claw King Kahle. for cut and live. Just learning to use them for Flats. Been using them for a long time with Night Crawlers, only smaller. Works well for Channels, and Suckers.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i have always used j hooks and think i do great but maybe im missing something