Just wondering

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by billNpam, Oct 27, 2008.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I went to the range yesterday with my 870 with smooth bore slug barrel (12 GA). I shoot 7/8 oz slugs 2 3/4 inch and got a good shot group, less then 2 inches on the bull at 100 yds. Just for fun I shot 3 inch Mag 1 oz I figured they would be higher or lower do to more weight and more powder. But what was really intersting is that it was right in line with the bull put all shots were over 4 inches to the left. I cannot blame trigger squeze (right handed) if this was the case it would be to the right. I have a 3x9 scope on it. Any Ideas?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    your trying to compensate for the heavier loads by pushing with your shoulder. Most of the time you will not realize that your doing it and most of the time you will only do it when target practicing. When in the woods and shooting a deer you have more concentration on the deer and not the recoil or noise. A lot of times people will do this more so because of the noise than the recoil. After shooting several times the combination of noise and the expected recoil will make you self consciously shoulder the gun harder which will push the bullet off.

Also it could be the Ammo. The shape of the slug or if it is a hollow point or not and the other slugs you were shooting were entirely different. The way the slug cuts the air during travel can make it shoot differently.

With my 270 win. I started off shooting sierra boatails thru it 150 grain. It shot well the next time I went to buy shells they did not have the boat tails in that brand of bullet so I bought nosslers in the same grain and same shell but they shot different from the boat tails just because of the little bit of difference in the shape of the bullet.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    The heavier slugs didn't loosen the scope or throw it off from more recoil did they? Also, sometimes the 3 inch slugs blow patterns. They tend to move just a little faster and can sometimes cause problems. Usually this will cause random grouping (in my experience), but stranger things have happened. Just something to think about.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Bill if yer like me, and I hope not, LOL, it sounds like you might be having trouble shouldering the gun stock inside the ball of the shoulder. Check yer bruise. You won't notice this with guns of lower recoil, but when ya go to the heavier recoil rounds, it shows.....and ya shoot to the left.
    I've got a lil single shot H&R smoothbore, and I didn't realize what I was doing till I went to take a shower, and noticed the bruising on the ball of my shoulder instead of where it should have been.
    :embarassed:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Different load quit often have a different point of impact. Learned this with rifles many years ago. Always hunt with the load used to sight the gun in. If the group is tight the difference in the load is the problem.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Different load different zero.
    I exclusively shoot factory ammunition.
    When I buy' I buy bulk and same lot numbers.
    I cant be perfect at 300 yards with a Winchester 168 grain boatail and chamber a Federal 168 grain boatail and expect the same results. It aint happening. Different powders with different burn rates may be used and the amount of powder will most likely differ. Remington has always seemed to light load to me.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If you are reloading as small a thing as different primers can change the point of impact. Even with all other components being the same.