Just wondering how to catch the BIG catfish on the potomac

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by bigdwb, Jun 8, 2006.

1. bigdwb

bigdwb New Member

State:
    maryland
    hello eveyone, i have been fishing the potomac around ft washington for the past three years now and still havent managed to catch a really big cat! the biggest that i have cought has been 13 pds. and it was around 24 inches. i see these pic of these really huge fish and i cant seem to catch em! i always catch more than enough smaller ones (around 15-18 inhes). i have used chicken livers, herring, cut bait, power bait, and those really stinky dough balls. if anyone has any tips or decent places around maryland or virginia to fish please let me know. i am new on this site so i have to figure out how to use this program. thank you darion b

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    He is a BOC sponcer and as a guide service on the Potomac. I would emagine that he would share a little info with you

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i will tell you that right now most of the bigger fish are coming from waters 25 to 50 feet deep. when you come out of fort washington head up river. Any where along the channel will hold big cats But you will need fresh bait to catch them. The only bait I have done any good with is fresh cut baits and hearts. You can run that channel from the WW bridge as far down river as you like. Just fish the drop offs in 25 to 35 feet and you will find some nice cats.

Or you can set a trip with me and i will show you first hand where and how to catch them :big_smile:

PM me your number if you like i can call and talk you over some spots just dont keep them big old cats

4. greenwood

greenwood New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Highly recommend Tim's guide service. Have caught fish at 23+, 25+ and 26+ with him this year. Bonus was learning a hell of a lot about catfishing!!

5. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hope you catch some with that info

6. bigdwb

bigdwb New Member

State:
    maryland
    hey guys thanks for the advise! i am going to the potomac tomorrow and i am gonna try exactly what you said! i will get on tomorrow night and let u know how i did. hopfully i will have pics of some nice ones! i cant give u my number on pm because this program wont let me write pms yet. if u have a number i would really like to talk with you sometime a maybe book a trip with u! what size weight so you prefer when fishing the deep water. and where do u find hearts. i called like 100 places today and i cant seem to find em.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Just check out my web site my number is there www.timhaganoutdoors.com. Get me a call and i can hook you up with some hearts if needed. i buy 50lb boxes at a time.As for weight I use 1 1/2 up to 3oz

8. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Darion....no one catches big cats every trip. You just have to be patient and keep trying. It took me quite a while to get fish in the 20-30 range. Some days they want small baits and other days they want big baits. Its all trial and error with alot of error, at least on my part! I have yet to get anything over 35 but I will this year. Aloha, Marty

9. greenwood

greenwood New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hey Tim, Don't forget to tell them that my cut salmon also caught bigun's when the other cut bait and hearts didn't work!! :big_smile:

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Yes sir Emmett it worked good out there and i still take some along at time. Good to see you checking in with us Having a tournament for red cross aug 12-13 at fort washington maybe something you guys would like to be apart of. You can fish from banks , docks or boats.check it out and if you need more info just ask.

11. bigdwb

bigdwb New Member

State:
    maryland
    well guys i took your advise and i caught fish. unfortunatly my biggest was 25 inches. pretty nice one though! the wind was howling out there on the potomac, so i couldnt get were tim told me to. i fished just below the bridge bacause that is about the only place that the wind couldnt get me! there was another boat out there and i seen the guys pull up quite a few nice cats. myself and a buddy would really like to join the acats. i jsut need to know how to join.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You can just Pm me your Address and i will send the apps out or you can join online at the ACATS web site www.catfishangler.com. Or if you like to fish the next tournament I can sign you up then as well.

But thats the one bad thing about the potomac the winds can get bad and make fishing very hard at times. Their are some spots up in DC that you can get out of the wind. But then getting to them can be fun at times as well

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The bigger fish last night seem to be holding in 30 to 50 feet and started to hit good just after dark when the tide started coming back in. Cut and whole carp was working great for us with fish of 29.15, 28.7, 24.8 and two that got off.

14. bigdwb

bigdwb New Member

State:
    maryland
    geez tim it seems like u have a lot of tricks up your sleeve when it comes to catching these hogs. u used cut carp?! that is the first that i have heard of this. i went this morning but only caught a few. i went to rocky gorge. i dont believe that there are alot of big cats there but i just went for the fun of it! did you get caught up in all of that traffic mess around the ww bridge, i heard that all lanes were closed on 95!

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Tim, whole carp???? im sure not the size of the ones i caught castnetting around Ft. Washington Marina right (smaller was like 20 inches and 3 or 4 lbs, other was around 6 or 7lbs )... Where'd you get your whole carp? and what size? (there's a pond by my house wanting some "nuisance" carp/goldfish out of it (same kinda thing as the snakeheads, someone didn't want them so they threw them in the pond... now there's 50+ in the one pond and numerous others in the other 2 ponds connected that are 10-15 inches or so and i'm sure more that i'm just not seeing that are smaller)

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I use carp 6 to 12 " and I buy them from a hatchery by the 100's they stay alive in my bait tank for weeks at a time if needed. They live on a hook great and the cats eat them all the time I would say as there are loads of carp in the river. I did get my girls and wife out for they first nite trip this year it was didn't fish for the big fish marked some nice ones hope they hang around there for the filming of the show. We did hit loads of 1 to 6 lbers around fox ferry and they had a ball catching them had like 40 cats in 3 hours most was on chicken hearts and danny kings blood bait. I will tell you that out from the airport in the hole there there was some big fish that looked to be cats they have been there the last two times i run over it just didnt have time to fish there. If you guys are out theres a spot to check maybe a lucky spot.