Just wondering about asian carp

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MiseryMike, May 29, 2009.

1. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    How bad are they on the missouri river and what is mwc doing about them? One Last thing them cats like those lil bastards?

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Mike the Mo river has its fair share of them stupid fish. I dont think the MDC is doing anything about them. And yes the cats do eat them. The fish in my avitar came from asian carp and last saturday I caught a 48 lb blue on cut asian.

Tom

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They make good cut bait. Got a lot of nice blues on em and a few flats. Just remember MO has a kill reg on em if you gona use smaller ones for bait kill em toss on ice. Head hook slash a few times and toss out. I like fishen with 6 to 10 inchers when I can net em. Big cats whomp em when they hit. They are bad about jumpen in the boat kill every one ya can had a 30lber jump in last night.

4. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Asian and Silver carp are bad in slack water for sure. Great bait as stated though. Its tough and stays on a hook. Watch your gear. I have a broken fish finder over one of them......

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Thanks For the Reply's. If i get my hands on any of them lil bastards ill try them for bait. Goodluck and happy fishing everyone. Going to work on getting my Tackle box hooked up right and ready tonight, The Post By BG about tackle & Pre Snelling hooks sounds like a good idea to me. Want to have all my i's dotten and T's crossed before i go make a fool out of myself at the water again. good laugh for everyone but myself lol

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    ehh. making mistakes is part of learning how to fish for these whiskery bastards. learn by doing, and you will figure it out.

7. jbeshears

jbeshears New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went out last sunday and had about 4 jump in the boat while going up Cedar Creek. I have heard they work great as cut bait. I have a few in my freezer that I cut up for use on trotlines. They were all over the place jumping. Scared my wife half to death.

8. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Last year after the floods on the Mississippi River near Festus MO, we had a solid 20lb Asian land in the boat. We fillet the sides and quickly threw the bloody mess in the river on a shallow sandy flat and caught a 38lb blue and a 44 pound blue. Lost a 50lb one too on that evening using Asian cut filets. They are a great bait and I agree....when the big blues hit them they really whomp em like Welder said in his reply.:big_smile:

9. JC_MO

JC_MO New Member

State:
    St. Charles, Missouri
    I have been using them, they work better for me...they have a tough skin that keeps em on the hook better than shad. It's also easier to catch them with a cast net cuz they are everywhere and stupid.

10. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Beckman..Just out of curiosity,what brought you to festus? Especially living in O'Fallon? I just moved to Troy a few years back from Festus..Grew up there my whole life..Where did you fish at?

11. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    And what is funny about these lil bastards..I have had so many of them jump in the boat,and never once did I think about using them for bait! heh..always whacked em in the head and threw them back in..:eek:oooh:
    what a dummy I am..

12. SteveWyss

SteveWyss New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Couple years ago, I pulled my boat in behind a wing-dam a mile or so down from Lexingson, on the Missouri RIver. Just as I pulled my boat into this calmer water, several of this nuesance fish jumped, one directly into my boat. I threw out the anchor ready to fish, but decided to relieve my bladder before I started. So I stood at the very edge of my boat and let my stream go over the side, careful not to get any on my precious boat! At the exact moment my stream hit the river, a huge Asian carp, spooked my my stream of piss, leapt from the river and slammed solidly against the side of my boat. I steped back startled, and when I did, I accidentally stepped off the fishing platform of my boat and fell, not only pissing on myself, but breaking one of my backup fishing rods!

I hate these things! I propose a new sport. Combine skeet shooting with fishing. This could be done competively in two man teams. One steering the boat and trying to stay amongst a large school of these wretched, horrid fish, while the other is blasting away from the railed in platform of the boat! any takers on this?:angry:

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think it has been done by some. :wink:

14. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    lol..asian carp startled by a stream of urination..comedy!

15. SteveWyss

SteveWyss New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I assure you that it is true. I pulled in and the damned things were everywhere. Comedy, I suppose I too findd it funny now, but at the time, will piss on my leg and one of my rods and eyelet shorter, I wasn't laughing

16. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

Hi Tim. I don't normally fish there; however, Ol' Swampy has shown me that area to fish. I usually fish below Winfield, below Alton, Grafton and the Osager River system.:wink:

17. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ahhh..ok..Just fished below Winfield this evening..Pleasure meeting ya!

18. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    They sound like a reel problem.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just seen a show... think it was call "when good animals go bad" or something like that!

They showed a couple DNR guys on the river to study those things, I think it was IL. somewhere... that river was calm and looked like glass- But when they hit the eletricity I was dumbfounded !!! THOUSANDS of those carp began jumping up EVERWHERE:eek:oooh: Man those carp are a nightmare. DNR MUST do something about those things!

I heard of a fatal virus that the KOI get- it also effects the Common carp, http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...p_deaths84613/

The Santee Cooper in SC is going thru a die off of Common carp from this virus, I wonder if it virus would kill those jumping carp too if introduced to them?. Heres the link to the SC thread where they were discussing it http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113014