Just wonderin

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by lroyal, Sep 12, 2007.

1. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i use 150 grain winchester super x power-points in my 308. i like the load but it causes alot of meat damage. should i swith to another load to prevent this. any info would be very helpful. thanks

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You could change bullets, and cut down on the damage, but the truth is, anything that will kill a deer will damage some meat if you shoot 'em in the meat.

There's really no substitute for a well placed heart/lung shot that goes in one side, and out the other.

Side note: someone is sure to mention head/neck shots, and under certain, narrow circumstances, they are effective. I no longer take those shots, however, because of CWD concerns. Any deer I butcher will have an intact skull and spine.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We only take heart, lung shots and no ribs are used. They are peeled out when skinned, and discarded.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Lee, what Dave an John said...& ya might try the Remingtion Managed-Recoil load for your gun. Sounds like maybe closer in shots may be some of your problem. The remingtion m/r loads are rated for 200 yard, 75% weight retention. Also uses a lighter bullet.
    Are you busting em too hard as they are so close?

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lee, I shoot a 243 ,handloads with 100 gr sierrias ,and If it hits a bone ....lots of damage, I shoot for the heart /lungs . and still ocasionally hit the shoulder depending on the angle. but its mostly tolerable damage less than a pound or two of bloodshot meat. hope this helps some.

6. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    boots it may be that they are to close. i have only ever taken one shot at over a hundred yards. i may stick with the load because i have never had a deer make it over 30 yards when hit. both deer i shot last year went down in there tracks. thanks for the info.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My question is if most of your shots are at 30 yards why a .308? Just wondering?

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    most any .30 is going to shred meat at close range. might try a lighter caliber if you're rarely touching the 100 yd range. i shoot a .30-06, which is nearly identical to the .308, but my shots are usually long. i think yall have more trees out there than we do here!