Just when I thought everything was....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Jun 12, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Just when I thought everything was.....

looking up, my ticker decided to act up. I had the boat ready to leave out on Thursday. I had already lined up bait. I had charged the batteries. I had bought snacks and drinks. Then it hit, pain and tightness in my chest, hard to breath, dizzy headed, pain down the left arm, etc. This time it wasn't just fishing trip excitement. I got to the hospital about 9:45 and was sent straight to the cardiac center. Thursday morning they did a cath, found 95% blockages, and put in stents. They said that I was actively having a heart attack when I got there Wednesday. They let me out today, but I can't lift anything over 5 pounds till Monday. No use fishing til then, I would hate to have to cut off all those 30 and 40 pounders!

I do need your prayers still, I have got to lay down the smokes. I have not had one since Wednesday, and am determined to quit. I admit, I could smoke one bigger than that 5 pound limit! It's been on my mind for a while now, especially with me being a preacher (not that I see it as a sin, but others look up to me).

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Steve we will keep you in our prayers.Good luck Brother

3. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I will add you to our prayer list for sure. Please keep us posted and dont light up!

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Prayers for ya and take care of yourself my friend.

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Prayers sent Steve,Hope you get to feeling better soon and back after them Cats.Hope you can kick the habit soon,Lord knows I sure need to also.:wink:

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Prayers sent from NE Oklahoma. I quit so I know you can.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    One prayer for strength coming right up ; )

-Jim-

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My prayers are with you and yours. The Good Lord still has work for you to do and although the call may be strong, be sure you're ready before you hit the water again. Stay safe and enjoy the moment.

9. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks for all of the prayers, guys. I haven't lit up, but I admit I could smoke one the size of a VW and never stop for a breath! I have realized that the urge to smoke goes away whether you light up or not. I'll be glad when those urges quit coming so often.

Modern medicine is amazing. Heart attack Wednesday night, stents put in at 1:30 Thursday, back in at 5:30 to remove a temporary sheath in the artery, and home today. A few years ago I would have been in for weeks with a chest full of broken ribs and my chest and legs cut open. Of course, with the technology comes the price, I hate to see the bill. The drug store was bad enough, they added 7 new scripts today. Even with the insurance it was a jaw dropper! Heck, I'll have to quit smoking just to buy the meds!

The good news is that the doc says fishing will be fine after 72 hours. I asked about catching a big fish, he said over 30 pounds get help lifting it over the side, other than that no problems. I will have to be extra careful, I will be on 3 different type of blood thinners. I little nick will ooze for days. The wife says she's going to file the points off my hooks! I told her I'll glue her butt cheeks together if she does!

God Bless All,
    Steve

10. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Prayers on the way Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With the rising cost of cigarette taxes I don't see how people could afford to smoke and keep a family going. I myself have never smoked cause I watched my papa soke most of his life away. Steve just think if cigs reach that $5.00 per pack---every12 packs you could have another nice reel or rod. You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good luck and prayers to you. :wink:

Scary story. :eek:oooh:

Good luck kicing the nic habit. It is really all a mental game at this pont.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Prayers for you, Steve, and for your wife as well, so that you don't glue her butt cheeks together. How would she explain that down to the clinic? :crazy:

13. billy29435

billy29435 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Prayers sent.Goodluck and GOD bless.

14. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Man I am glad to hear you are doing better. Prayers were sent from the SC Backwoods. Let me know if you need anything you have my number.

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Steve, glad to hear you are doing better!:wink: I know you are trying to sound tuff and all, but the truth is.......... are you really gonna catch a 30lb. fish?:eek:oooh: While you were out a fresh coat of 'cat repellent' was applied..................by myself and your lovely wife!:smile2::smile2:

Better go get that glue!:eek:oooh:

16. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Guys,

It's a real pleasure having a bunch of friends like you. Some of you I have never met in person, but feel a real attachment to. I guess this really is a brotherhood. Now leave me alone, that's not a tear, I got a speck of dust in my eye!

What I need soon is a good cat slime therapy session! If I can get Kathy to agree. Bless her heart, this scared her. She's watching me like a mother hen. As much as she hates fishing, she would probably go now instead of letting me go solo, like usual.

God Bless All,
    Steve

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Steve, man i know how hard it is to quit (fishn for big cats) smoking is easy to quit when u got the Lord helping. But anyway, before my shoulder replacement, i would be reeling in a big fish and my arm would start jerking and i would have to hand the reel over to someone else to finish the job.
    That is probably the only reason i got the nerve to go get the surgey done. Also the meds they had me on, i knew it was to my best intrest to quit smoking. I quit once for 18 yrs and started back (i was a dummy) well it was even harder to quit the 2nd time, but i did with the help of the Lord. Brother i know its hard, but its a must. I too am a witness for the Lord Jesus Christ and i don't want anything standing in the way when i do witness to someone. You know the devil, he will use things like smoking, cussing, drinking to destroy your testimony. I can't let that happen in my life so i quit it all :big_smile: So good luck and we will be praying for you.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You CAN kick the habit! I did after 40+ years. Could still eat a pack right now, but I don't even think about it. I beat it by smokin' about 2 cigars a day, and NO inhaling. Keeps the tobacco urge pacified. Prayers sent for ya!

Bill in SC

19. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    One smokefree week yesterday! Cold turkey, even. Yes, I could smoke 1 longer than my boat, but I won't.

I'm really weak from the heart attack. Could be from the meds, I take so many pills I rattle when I walk. I'm on 2 BP meds, and don't even have high BP!

I plan to take off this PM and tomorrow to rest up. I need it. Heart attack Wednesday, stents on Thursday, back to work on Monday, and no smokes to boot. At least I smell better!

I can't wait til I'm strong enough to fish again. I'm a little scared to try it, especially solo right now. I probably could not take the heat now anyway. Maybe soon I'll try a night trip.

God Bless All,
    Steve