Just what do you do when challenged by a bear?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MattShannon, Nov 9, 2006.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    After reading a thread by Ace, relating to bear attacks, it made me think of a situation my buddy had the other day. He walked outside and noticed a 300+lb black bear in his trash. The bear began stomping and and growling at him. Luckily he was close enough to his garage to run. Now, just what do you do, when your not close enough. Say, you're in the woods. A big bear starts toward you in an aggressive manner, stomping and growling. I've always been told not to run. Easier said than done. Do you play dead? What do you do?

2. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    First thing I would do is crap my pants. :smile2:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    when faced by a grizzly I read in a book from the north american hunting club your supposed to play dead but when faced by a black bear your supposed to be aggressive and make yourself seem bigger then you are. generally if a black bear wants to attack you its cause your either to near the cubs or its going to eat you.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    of course I'd be busy reaching for my sidearm.......

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Drop the Pic-a-nic bas-ket and run to the nearest park ranger. :lol: :roll_eyes:

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    That was my answer along with PRAY

7. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    being involved with wildlife all my life, i learned and still learn all i can about nature and its critters. what i've always read and heard is the best thing to do when challenged by a bear is lay down in the fetal position, protecting your face head and neck. dont move or make noises. the bear will eventually lose interest.

now thats what ive always heard. i have zero experience with bears, never even seen a wild one, but thats just what ive always heard.

now mountian loins/cougars/puma/panthers (same animal) if ur challenged by one of them ur supposed to make urself look as big as possible, if u have a jacket on, spread it out. make loud noises, the idea is to be intimidating.

8. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I think I would agree that with a black bear try to look mean big and dangerous. Make lots of noise. Of course a 12 guage slug gun could be a big help to your confidence in this matter!

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Simple... I'd just dial 911. :lol:

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC

Doing that would make it difficult to squat down as low as possible, bend as far forward as you can, tuck your head back under between your legs, AND KISS YOUR BUTT GOOD BYE!!!:lol:

11. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I guess I would wait until he makes a lunge. He's gonna catch me regardless of a head start. At least it would be over quicker. On the other hand, if I was lucky enough to have a gun..........well........I don't need your advice on this one.

12. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I don't have a heart attack, I would probably scream like a little girl and run.:big_smile:

13. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    always make sure u go into the woods with someone u can outrun ..........

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I aint got a gun, cant run away. Runing does cause for action on the wild side point of view. I sure aint playing dead for easy meal.. LOL.
    I'm going to do one of 2 things.
    If bear is just checking me out from a short distance and
    not coming at me full force. I'll be nice, act like I'm minding my own buisness while back stepping , hope he growls, farts and goes on bout his buisness..

but if he is coming in full force at me and I cant get away, I'll bow up , act as bad as I can. Like I'm king of the forest. I'll go nuts. I'll growl, yell, spread my wings and stir up some dust to try and let it know, we going to tangle unless you back off. then, hope for the best. LOL.
    If it dont back off, well, I'll get my teeth marks on it before I become a fart in the wind. LOL.:big_smile: :roll_eyes:

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That is funny and true. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have just ignored them while cutting canoe trails in the Okefenokee Swamp Wildlife Refuge.They will lay down where they can hide and watch you.You never know that they are there till you see the sign and tracKs later.They will sneak off unseen like deer if you approach.You will some times see the vegetation rising where they have lain.Also water will be seeping in and rising in their tracks.You slept on platforms about 4 feet off the ground.Sometimes you would find Bear and large Gator tracks under the platforms in the mornings.You never hear them.I think that the Bears have learned that some people throw out uneaten food.I think that most Bears can stalk,ambush and kill the average human without the human ever knowing what happened.If you get to see the bear,he wasn;t hunting you.That don;t mean that it won;t take advantage of the situation.I have walked up on one Black Bear.He was beside noisy water and the wind was from him to me.I talked to him.Yep,I was close enough to tell it was a he.I told him that "if you bite me,I am going to cut me a steak out of your butt and cook it right here".He must have believed me.He rambled on down stream.Now this was in the Smoky Mountains where the Bears are use to people walking up on them and you can expect to walk up on a Bear.No surprises here for either of us.Now that I am terminally ill and weak,I believe a bear would consider me fair game.They can tell and that is the way nature works.peewee-williams

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Me too. Lets see that bear eat through all the brown round in my drawers. Talk about instant enema, lol

18. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was eyeball to eyeball with a 300+ lb black bear in NW Wisconsin some time back. We had a cabin on an inland lake, back in the boonies and were sitting on the end of a 30' dock trying to catch a few fish. Ma decided we needed some coffee and made the trip to the house, which was at the top of about a 45º uphill grade from the dock. There was a path running along the shoreline. I heard some leaves rustling behind me and figuring it was Ma returning with the coffee I never give it a thought. But Ma can't walk without talking and there was no talking I decided to turn around and see what the rustling was. There at the other end of this 3½' X 30' dock stood this big ole black bear. After staring at one another for what seemed like forever, I was thinking I was about to check out the depth of the water. Fortunately, the bear just turned and sauntered down the path as if nothing had happened.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    All things are possible, except for skiing through a revolving door.

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I never thought of this and like the idea. Should I tell them why were doing a little race before going into the woods? Joe to Matt, "Why do you want to race before hiking?" Matt to Joe, "Just to get our heart rates up, because being outdoorsmen can get physical sometimes." Joe to Matt, "O.K. I won, now what?" Mat to Joe, "I got a heck of a cramp from that race. Sorry dude, I'll have to take a rain check on our hiking trip."

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Many years ago in Newfoundland I was working on a telephone cable pole line that ran along side a railroad track. There were several of us strung out down the pole line. There was no one working past me. I had just come down a pole for something, still had my climbers on. Then noticed a mother bear and cub come out of the woods down a short ways from me. I watched them for a while, soon they came up on the track bed and she kind of laid down on a rail. So being very dumb I eased up to the track and hit the rail with my 2 pound hammer. That wasn't the thing to do, the bear immediately raised up on her hind legs growling facing me. I made a run for the nearest pole and went to the top. I stayed there until she left. The other guys got a big laugh out of that. :embarassed: