Just tied my first fly!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by blindfly69, Apr 8, 2007.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i'm pretty excited.... its kinda messed up though....i tied a wooly worm and it looks cool and like it might catch some fish, i cant wait to try it out

2. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I used to tie my own trout flies, but I don't trout fish like I used to. One thing to remember is that even if your fly is kind of messed up the fish will probably still hit it. I've had them hit some really ugly flies that I've tied.

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good job bro.Don't do it myself but have always enjoyed watching my uncles do it.

4. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Welcome to fly tying. It is very rewarding. Keep tying, you will only get better.
    Good fishing
    Joe

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ah yes I remember tying my first fly.Big one and he was pissed.There he was upside down on a size 18 3x Daichi hook.All of his feet were trussed up neatly just like you see in a Rodeo with the calf roping.Nice knot to.I had his wings in the fanwing position which took some skill and a few half hitches.He kept buzzing even after a few false casts which made a nice lifelike ripple effect on the water.Didn't last long though,a 12 in Brookie decided anybody that would go to that kind of effort should be rewarded and gulped down this fly after a short drift.After all that work I made a life altering decision to buy all my dry flys and tie only nymphs.:lol: At least that is what I called the awkward looking clumps of materiel I attached to various size hooks.Fish seemed to like them and it was fun acquiring the clumps of materiel.One word of caution ,make sure the Badger is dead before trying to aquire clumps of badger fur.:lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2:They get a mite testy about contributing to your latest clump, er fly!!!!!!! :lol: :smile2: