Just thinking out loud...

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by PTDixieGal, Sep 15, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Just doing some thinking out loud...sorta...and I wanted to know what your experience has been.

I've heard two different things regarding catfishing and rain/floods. One is that after it rains, the fish don't bite. The other is that after it rains the fish do bite. I haven't had much luck getting a bite after rainfall, not at Cherrywood, anyway.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've always heard that a lot of fresh water will shut the fishes mouths and they won't bite. But I don't believe this. I think they just change their pattern. The bait fish change due to the fresh water and the flooded areas. So I think the cats have to adapt to the bait and their feeding. The problem is determing the pattern change and finding the fish again which is not usually easy to do.

The real key in locating the fish is locating the bait. I know that bream will follow the fresh water and go into the timber to forage for insects that are trapped on the trees and low limbs that are now in water.

But what do shad do in this situation or skips for that matter.

These two breeds of bait fish I'm not sure of what they do in this situation but I think the shad will go deeper for a time because the food that they eat is forced deeper.

I too would like to know what others opinions are on this subject but would really like to know if any one has any factual evidence regarding what shad and skips do in this time of high fresh water.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Personally I believe it changes the water temp. and confuses the fish. JMHO.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    as long as the water is not real cold the fish move out of their normal patern and feed shallow.ive cought more fish out in the pastures than i have in the river or lakes when they are at flood stage.fish use high water to move up stream except in late fall then they use hi water to move down stream to wintering holes.

5. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I agree with Pits , I also had trouble fishing in flooded water till this spring I quit fishing the 100,000 fps in the main part of river and fished the flooded fields some were only 6" to a couple of feet deep but we caught several fish, also the sooner after it floods the better after it stays up for a while it wasn't as good here.

6. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Was wondering the same thing. I went to lee creek dam today to see if the water was flowing over it, and it was rollin, It would be my opinion that it would be the time to fish it. Throw the bait right up next to the dam where it has all the turbulance. I agree with Pits on fishin the shallows.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    When the water is on the rise i do my dangdestness:eek:oooh: to get the boat on the water!!!!:tounge_out: Catfish like stuff stired up and easy meals in da shallows.....Seems like we do real well when she is rising...

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I ususally do real well after a good summer rain to cool things down. On lakes, feeder creeks are the place to be.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Barometric pressure has a lot to do with it. Before and after the rains the pressure is changing in most cases and this will affect the fish bite.

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    During and after rain find the nearest feeder creek FAST! and bring plenty of bait (i use shad) and you will tear up the cleaner sized channels! That is how I stock my freezer with fish for the year.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm sure I've answered this question before, cuz I don't get it right...

(and sometimes I'm suprised someone doesn't take rep from me, every time I say it)...
    I can't catch anything but a cold in high water, and LOTS of careful notes have never proved ANY connection between barometric pressure and fishing... and this hold true even in lakes (for me).

Ten bizillion books of all flavors talks about the rush of high water and falling barometric pressure.

my only theory is that being a certified :eek:oooh: bank angler. I can't get to these catfish's NEW spots (or I haven't identified them correctly)... To be strait I have Tried to ADAPT to high water by seeking flooded brush (as directed in the BOOKS).

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I dont know, I tried every trick I ever known today and only caught 2 channels and a bowfin. Jennie caught one channel , That arkansas river has really flooded everything, we started out at LeeCreek Dam, Thats where I caught the channels, Fished all up and down lee creek, Then went to Clear creek and fished all over there, Flooded timber, back areas where the river had breached the dikes, Just everywhere, slack water, swift current, back eddies, Nothin. Caught plenty of shad though.....:embarassed: and a nice sunburn..:smile2: I do better when the water is dropping.

13. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I can kinda relate to that...my dad and I went fishing at Camp Robinson and he caught two channels and I caught a bowfin...or as he calls it, a grinnel. Personally I had fun catching him, merely for the fight he put on!!! But when I beached him I could see he was mean-nautured. He bit my line and swallowed my treble hook. Daddy got a big stick and poked him to make him go back in the water. We guessed he weighed five pounds.

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I reckon anything with teeth is mean natured, he didnt like to be touched for sure, took awhile to get it outa the boat. :smile2:

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ya need to holler Jim.....me and Baitboat bagged over 30 yesterday and the water rose over 10inches before we left........read my thread seven strikes at scranton:tounge_out:

16. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I forget who told me. It might be one of you guys. It seems the place to be when the river is rollin too fast is the mouth of a smaller river or large creek that feeds into the larger river like (The Arkansas). The water sort of backs up into the smaller creek and is pretty calm. This is where the cats hold up waiting for some grub.

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Big Sam, Most of you fella's are at work when I fish, Thats the only reason I aint called. I very rarely fish the weekends because of the crowds, I absolutely hate getting blasted by somebody on a PWC or some basser doin 500 miles an hour. Fishin is suppose to be relaxing, not irritating. If you dont work certain days let me know and we can hook it up. Mac:wink:

18. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    You can say that again!!!

Anyways I'm still not quite over this ear infection. I go to the ENT on Tuesday but my dad and I may go fishing Monday...we're talking about going somewhere where I can fish from the bank or maybe a pier. Someplace where I won't be out in the brush...Dad and I are afraid I might get dizzy and fall.

19. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I agree Little Mac. I`ve had a boat speed through and snag all our lines when fishing from the bank, boats speeding through our jugs(when there was plenty of lake to go around them), and bass fishermen park right on top my line when fishing from the bank.

20. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    No doubt i have had bass fishermen on bull shoals cut my trot lines. even seen them do it but a little flat bottom boat can't keep up with a ranger