Just talking reels

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Nuclear Bill

Nuclear Bill Well-Known Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Bill
    They want cheap then complain it didn't last long or that the quality was bad...or both.

Flat Top likes this.
  2. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Precisely Bill!!!!

Today there are many high quality reels (older models/used) that are on sites like Ebay, other auction sites, etc, that can be had for next to nothing. Those reels lasted a good while and were normally let go because the owner moved up to a more modern reel, or could not fix some minor issue or the reel was gotten at an estate or yard sell. In many cases (like my old Penns, and Abu's and others) parts are available, they are easy to work on, and they can be cleaned up and turned into very useful reels. An older reel and a little sweat equity would be my choice if cost was an issue. Why buy cheap when you can buy quality for the same price?

Nuclear Bill likes this.

3. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Reminds me of when many said buy american, get a Harley. However in the 1500 Honda goldwing there were more american made parts than a Harley dresser. This is as a percentage. Maybe not numbers.

Another contributing factor would be production processes that may contribute to health problems. Cancers, emphasema, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2020
    metalman, Flat Top and Nuclear Bill like this.
  4. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    That must be the same thing for reels made in Sweden then also.

Flat Top likes this.
  5. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
  6. Nuclear Bill

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Bill
    okay so I can completely understand saving thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars on a purchase. Meaning I can understand buying something made into an or 75% other high-quality countries if it's saving you thousands of dollars. I might even understand it coming from China again if it saves you thousands of dollars. But saving 20 to $40 to buy Chinese versus America or any other high quality countries products it's just dumb! Are you really saving 22 $40? The product that you're going to buy in China might last a year. And so you saved $20 by buying it from China. but why not buy one that's made in America spend the extra 20 or $40 and be able to hand it to your grandkids? I am also one that is all for renting things. Perfect example I'm buying a yard roller today because I'm putting carpet on a pontoon boat. It's going to cost me $22 to rent it today. I could buy one for $150. But if I buy it I now have the storage. And I don't have that kind of ability. I've rented one two times in my life. Both of them were to do carpets on pontoon boats. I just put it into the cost of doing business.

Flat Top likes this.
  7. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Was doing some research on Abu's......some are "made" in Sweden and some are "assembled" in Sweden (with foreign made parts), and some are made in China and Taiwan I believe it was. The Swede made Abu's are pricey and coveted by fishermen, the foreign parts Abus assembled in Sweden are supposed to be ok and less pricey, and the others manufactured in China, etc, are cheap, and they dont have a stellar reputation.

From what I gathered "made", "assembled" and "made in China" should be on the reels and that dictates the price (and evidently the quality) of the reels.

Nuclear Bill likes this.
  8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Oh no, not the PENNS too.

I foresee a problem in the future.

Actually I knew the Penn reels were made outside the country because they were for sale and had parts in them. Where else would they be made. Of course they could be ASSENBLED in the US. OR the newest thing, Shippen in the US after they were SHIPPED to the US.

Anyone notice a possible problem?

This isn'r just happening to fishing junk.

IJS.

Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.
  9. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Pretty sure my Avet MXL is made and assembled in the USA. I paid accordingly but it is bullet proof.

Flat Top likes this.
  10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    The Abu 7000i reels are made in China but still have good quality. Never have figured out why the 6500 reels went down in quality. I can see a company making a cheaper beginner reel but don't know why you would give it the same name as an old time tested reel. That just goes to ruin your years of work establishing your name in the market.

And like I said if they are doing this with a fishing reel, what other things that are essential to the US is this happening to. EVERYTHING.

Flat Top likes this.
  11. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    100%

12. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    I bought 3 Okuma CLX-300's and they were made in China. Paid $38 per reel. And, I can feed my kids. I like them and they help me catch a fish.

I might get some used Diawa Millionare's one day. They are easy to find like the Abu's, and are all Japanese parts. Excellent quality for the price.

Matt

eastforker and Flat Top like this.
  13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Always used to make me smile when bikers would talk about the burning of Japanese bikes at their biker shindigs..... and then ride home on their American Harleys with Japanese switches, lights, batteries, ignition packs, carburetors, generators, starters etc.

Also,
    Back in the day, I had a Chevy truck and my wife had a Renault car. Vehicles don't get much more American than a Chevy or much more French than a Renault.
    Except.... my "American" Chevy had a label that clearly said, "Made in Canada" and my wife's "French" Renault had a label that clearly said, "Made in Kentucky".
    We would laugh about who had the more American vehicle?

...W

BCT, Herbhome, Nuclear Bill and 3 others like this.
  14. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    My Chevy pick up truck was made in Fort Wayne IN. U.S.A.....even the engine and transmission.
    I built my Harley from a basket case, all American parts...made in St. Louis, Mo. U.S.A. (in my garage).
    My old Penn reels...Made in the U.S.A.
    Most of my fishing rods...............................................................................Made in China!!!:eek1:

SteveMcK and Nuclear Bill like this.
  15. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I like my IC3 7000 much more than my formerly owned swedes

Flat Top likes this.
  16. Nuclear Bill

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Bill
    Anyone heard of letgo? I downloaded it while I was sick. I found 3 Sweden 5000's on there. One red 5000 with clicker, 2 silver ones. One is a Ambassadeur 5500C, the other one has no markings other than Abu. It's a 5000 series. Both have a sticker (High Speed) I just made the 100 mile trip to get them. He was asking $100 for 3 reels. I paid $80.

17. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    You got a great deal on the abus. Parts are plentiful and if they need servicing, it is easily done. They are very durable.

Flat Top likes this.
  18. BCT

BCT Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Chris
    Without sounding like I want to start a debate, and I get the argument "it is a good investment". But here is another alternative to consider. I have $40. I buy that item for $20. I save $20, correct? I then buy what I consider a real investment for $20 (bonds, stocks, CD, mutual funds, pick your choice here).

So fast forward to time to hand it to my grandkids. Do I really want to hand $20 item 20 years from now to my grandkid? $20 reel? $20 rods? How much are those going to worth 20 years from now?

So.... saving $20 here... $20 there... and then buy a real investment... maybe able to hand a pile of money to the grandkids... just saying...

Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.
  19. Nuclear Bill

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Bill
    Yep. That is exactly what I was saying!

Flat Top likes this.
  20. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I kind of like that reel that Eric used when he caught his new pb.
    Shimano Tekota A
    My price range would be the Penn Squall.