Just Starting

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by deadly_legend, Jun 29, 2009.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I JUST bought my first fly fising rod and reel today, and i bought 15 different flys to use, some for bass, others for bluegills, the rest i got no idea :big_smile: but i was wondering how you're supposed to set the line up and how your supposed to tie th fly on and all that, any help will be really appreciated!
    Thanks

Josh.

2. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    OK, if you have the flies, then you need to get your leader. The leaders range in size from 6-15ft depending on how spooky the fish are and whether you're using a sinking fly line or floating. Also, typically, the smaller the body of water, the shorter the leader. You want to get a tapered leader, and have an assortment of tippet size. Tippets range from 0X-8X, with 0X being the heaviest. You go smaller as the flies get smaller. So I would get an assortment of leaders, and different tippet material to start with, then see which works best where you're fishing.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    alot of factors in fly fishing for sure dont let that scare you, when i first started i basically got a book asked some questions and practiced alot . i pretty much did the trial and error thing finally ended up with something that works for me

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  5. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Well, i went fishing last night, only having my new fly gear for several hours, i got the hang of casting, usually, and i set it up to a bottom rig for cats, since i wasnt getting any action on my flies, and about 3 minutes after casting, i got my first catfish on my fly pole, was loads of fun :D and im still reading up on all the stuff you guys tell me to, since i have alot to learn, and i appreciate the helpfulness, thanks guys.