Just starting fishing for catfish.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dburkhead, Aug 17, 2008.

1. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Recently, I tried my first local foray into fishing for catfish. (Used to fish a lot when I was young, had a set of tackle given to me, and fished right up until I turned 17 and had to then buy a fishing license which I could not, at that time, afford, recently got back into it.)

My first couple of trips out were at Eagle Creek Park in Indianapolis (still looking for good places to fish). I'm less interested in "the biggest" at the moment than in "big enough to take home and fry." My memories of freshly caught fish, chiefly catfish, fried up are quite fond indeed and I'd like to share them with my daughter.

So far, I've tried a couple of baits: nightcrawlers, and commercially prepared dough bait ("Magic Bait" Chicken liver & Chicken Blood) and have come up a big fat goosegg.

One problem I've found is that the dough bait doesn't stay on the hook. I cast the bait out into deeper water (can usually get to 10-15' deep water casting from shore). Then when, for whatever reason, I reel the line in (a couple of times after only a couple of minutes), the bait is gone. There was no twitch from the bobber so I don't think something ate it off the hook.

So, any suggestions on good places to fish for cats around here (eating cats)? And is there something particular I should do with dough baits to keep them from falling off the hook?

2. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    You may want to try some cut bait, like shad. Watch out for the bait shop frozen stuff, it won't stay on your hook at all. If you catch your own, or know someone who can throw a cast net, that's the best way to get some fresh bait.

Otherwise try out some different prepared baits, and chicken liver is usually effective for channels....

Good luck, and watch out, catfishing can be habit-forming!!

3. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    David with dip baits Looper rigs are going to be your best friend. If you are using punch baits use a treble hook with a spring. Use the worms under a bobber, catch some bluegills and use them as cutbait.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc, this site is full of good info and great people. You have taken the first step at mastering catfishing. Congrats and good luck

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yep.

Worm>bluegill>channel cat>David...that's the foodchain you want.:big_smile:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, David! I don't use commercially prepared bait, but I've read posts advising users to stick their bait down in the water for a few seconds before casting. Supposed to 'set' the bait or something.

7. dreibek

dreibek New Member

State:
    PA
    I just started into cats too. I am a long-time panfish/trout/bass fisherman as well as the regular deep-sea trip. This year, I've been wanting to try cats. So far, my setup is a medium-action rod with a spinning reel loaded with 10-lb. test. I bought some chicken livers. I live 2 blocks from the Delaware River and I hope that I can hit a couple.

8. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    sorry but i dont know any good spots in your area. I am sure a fellow member from your area will tell ya all ya need to know bout the wheres and whys. I can however help ya with the bait issue, as many members have already told ya try usin cut bait or a looper rig, but if those just seem out of reach try talkin the woman in your life outta a pair a tights. If you can just cut a small square out of em and wrap it around your bait by either stabbin it on the hook or gettin some line. This way the scent and taste can get out to the cats but it cant just jump ship:wink: Hope this helps

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    David welcome to the BOC!

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cutbait and dead minnows are great for channels. for a mess of eaters, we always break out the good ol chicken liver. good luck to you, and welcome to the boc!

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bearing in mind that I don't have a clue about what size catfish you have in your area, I'd have to say that 10# line sounds awfully light to me. The lightest line I use for cats is 20#. I guess it comes down to how sure you are that you aren't going to hang any cats over a few pounds.