Just started trying metal detecting out any tips??

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by iluvnevaeh, Mar 31, 2009.

1. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i live in southeastern nebraska and just got me a cheaper $200 metal detector and im new to all this so any tips would be appreciated, thanks

2. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I would start in your backyard,bury different coins(1,5,10,25 cents) at
    1-6 inches depth.Run your detector over these objects and get to
    know the sounds.Most detectors will make a chirp or pop sound
    over trash but will have a good even tone over coins.
    Well I should ask you what kind of detector do you have?

3. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i have a bounty hunter elite 2200. i have used it once. but now i have access to alot of older property where there was old farm houses and an old school house that i am going to tear down for salvage and i wanted to kinda know exactly what i should do or spots i should check first.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i got alot of experience in playgrounds in the sand. I learned the difference in coins, pull tabs etc. It is a fun hobby you never know what your gonna find?

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Stay away from teens with face armor! :tounge_out:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Build you a test plot with different coins, then different coins at angles.

Once you get the hang of known targets at known depths, at known angles, it will help your hunting out greatly.

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definitely sounds like a pretty fun and adventurous hobby!:wink:

8. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Old farm houses are great.A few tips beyond the obvious,see if you
    can locate where the clothesline would have been and give it a
    good look between the 2 points.Also people buried money back in the
    day as we all know.Look for an old flower bed(Tulips and other flowers
    come up every year long after the farm house is vacated).People loved
    this spot to bury mason jars of coins(easy to remember and locate when they needed to get to it).
    If your going to get to tear down old farm houses you could find
    more treasure hidden in the walls than in the yard.WOW,I got
    my fever up just talking about it.Good luck and let us know if you
    find anything.

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Old schools are one of my favorite places search every square inch and hunt it over and over.When you first start you will miss most of it and after youve found some stuff go back and find more where youve already been.Also the best hunting is when the ground is damp and vegetation at its lowest like early spring before grass starts.

10. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thank you guys for the information, ill be heading out to salvage the school and hit the grounds around it. Apparently the school house was built in the 1860's so im hopoing to at least find something god out there. I appreciate the tips and i will keep you guys posetd.:cool2:

11. goldminer70

goldminer70 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All detectors are like a fine gun, you just have to get to know your machine. I`ve been doing it for 30 years or more, have used several brands. as i md for gold an caches, each is a different type of detector, so just git out an injoy doing. :wink::roll_eyes::cool2:

12. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I have an older Whites Eagle Spectrum. It does a great job. I like to look around trees in school area's, why, well kids would sit on the ground and lean up against the tree and guess what. Coins will fall out of the pocket.
    Also along a driveway, reach into your pocket for keys and pull something extra out. I have found myself that you have to eliminate the trash stuff before you can get to the good stuff. The tones are VERY important so start testing and listening to the tones, Even though mine shows on the screen what it is and the VDI scale number, you still got to dig it up because I have gotten good stuff a few inches under trash. There a lot of fun. Just need more time to use it.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hope its easier than catching a flathead, lol:eek:oooh: . You know im jus playing brother.

14. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    When I first got mine, I did my yard. I found proof that the kids lost most of my screwdrivers and a lot of spoons from the kitchen. And all alone all I could find was a kid named "not me" and I didn't know I had that one. LOL

15. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    :smile2: brent :smile2: im hoping that it is easier, but soon im gonna find a treasure trove of both flathead and old memorabilia. Havent been able to get out to the school house yet becasue of mud but looking to get out to it this week, its supposed to dry up, maybe i can find some morels too......thank you guys for the info, its greatly appreciated.

16. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    After reading this post, I may have to dust mine off and go out a few times. Spring is a great time to go, the freezing and thawing brings stuff closer to the surface.

17. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I haven't bought a detector yet, but I'm interested in Civil War History involving my own property. Therefore I am a member of a site called Treasure Net. If you want to (dirt fish) look into it. For its' topics it seems close to being as good for detecting as this one is for fishing.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Treasure Net is a great site. It covers it all, from detecting to prospecting.