1,070 Posts
Nice one! may there be many more.

Welcome to the board

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WnW,
Welcome to the board and please don’t hesitate to tell us the back story on that really nice flattie!
It was an interesting day. Prior to catching this beautiful fish, I had caught a couple blue gill to use as bait as well as a nice chanel cat and about a 4 pound bass 🤣. I was sitting in my chair when I noticed my Berkley glow stick doubling over and as I was trotting over to start reeling him in, the rod holder popped out of the ground and I watched my Garcia 6500 c5max diving into the Ohio. I jumped in after it (it was only about a foot in) and the fight was on. The 30lb stren really did a good job. Once the fish realized he was outmatched, I asserted dominance by grabbing it firmly by the jaw and I then removed the 8/0 team catfish circle hook. I took some glamour shots and then as I was placing him back into the water, I told him to go tell his grandma and grandpa that a ole blue gill beat him up and to send em back to rectify the situation. Not mention there was a few thank ya Lord's in there 😆 I will include a picture of the bass

·
Registered
Don from Glendale Arizona
4,883 Posts
...the rod holder popped out of the ground and I watched my Garcia 6500 c5max diving into the Ohio. I jumped in after it (it was only about a foot in) and the fight was on...
LOL! Went swimming many times as a kid for that exact same reason! Congrats!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice flathead! Congrats, hope you catch many more! I had to retrieve 3 rods this year that got pulled in and all by small catfish because I didn't have the clicker on. Two of them were laying on the dock and one got pulled in from a rod holder. One I had to drag for and the other two I caught just as they hit the water. I have never had that happen in all my years of fishing until now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
15 years ago we took a family vacation to fla. I was living in GA at the time, my dad and brother were in PA. We all met up in clearwater Fl.

I had lived in Clearwater as a teen so I spent a LOT of time chasing snook. We planned this vacation around the snook being in the passes and on the beaches (early summer).

We all 3 (brother, father and I) bought brand spanking new rods and reels for the occasion. A good 8000 series reel loaded up with 60# braid on Star rods, we each had a couple hundred bucks sunk into our new rigs.

Second night of fishing and my dad chewed my brothers tail for leaving his rod unattended while he was trying to catch a fresh bait (15" ladyfish was a guarantee snook).

An hour later, I hear my dad say....OMG did you see that!?!?!? That guys rod just flew over the rail!!!! My brother had the biggest craziest grin on his face and said.....where is your rod dad?

My dad looked around and the look on his face when he realized that it was his rod that went over the rail was PRICELESS. I didn't laugh then because my dad is a big ornery guy, but I am giggling to this day about it.

We ended up spending the best week I have ever had of snook fishing, I think between us all in 7 nights, we landed 15 or so huge snook. (20-30# fish, big silver beach torpedos) that may not sound like a lot , but to put that many on the pier means a lot of busted knuckles, broken hearts and tired arms lol.

An hour or so after my dad lost that rod, I had an old Penn 113h 4/0 senator loaded with 80# mono , a HUGE ray grabbed the 16" trout I had out and dumped the reel, first and only time I have ever been spooled , I can only assume that it was a big ray that got his rod too. Most likely culprit at least.

Every time I hear a story about a rod going in the water I think about that trip and smile. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good story man I can't wait until I get back down to Fla. to fish again, you just never know what or how big the fish are going to be other than how big a bait you use. ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts