Just saying Hi...

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Zebco 33, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Greetings, I've been looking for a good fishing site, and I think I've found one.

I'm Jerry, I'm the father of two Princess' and a young Prince. I work for IDOC at Big Muddy CC. I've been fishing for a long time, but been out of "the loop" per say due to kids and responsiblities. But I have all three practicing casting and we are getting our tackle box filled up again.

I mostly fish smaller ponds and lakes, cause of being boatless. But I'm out there fishing at least.

My uncles had a couple of cabins on the Kasakasa, were they would trap flatheads and fish for them with line and tackle also. Caught my biggest cat there when I was sixteen years old, a 15 pound flathead on my Zebco 33. That was a fight! Since then, my fishing was limited to Lake of Egypt and Rend Lake.

I like to use lighter tackle, since I like smaller cats in the 2-4 pound range for eating. I'm currently using an Abu Garica 5600 combo with 12 Stren on it and Eagle Claw Catfish rigs. I've got to say Berkley GULP bait is great.

I like to support local sporting goods stores, but we don't have many down this way. I go to either Rural King or Wally World for tackle. If I really need a speciality item, I go through Cabela.

Jerry

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Jerry!!:cool2:

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hey Bro,

welcome to the BOC. Glad to see you found us! It is a great site and a wealth of information not to mention good fishing buddies you can tag up with. No worries... I knew practically nothing before I joined here... now I know at least how to throw a castnet and catch some decent sized channels.

Before you know it, you'll be spending money you don't have on some new fishing techniques like me! haha!

Take care and hope to see ya fishing!

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Welcome aboard! You're gonna love it here. There are lots of us brothers in the Southern Illinois area. Like Brian said, we are all here to help each other and even go fishing with each other. Hope to meet you soon.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    P.S. You probably don't want to fish with Brian. While he is good at catching bait, he tends to try getting a little romantic when fishing under the stars....:wink::smile2:

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    LMAO!!!!

I swear it was the waves rocking the boat! :smile2:

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sure, blame it on the waves. Shall I remind you about the last time we went fishing and I kept hearing a noise coming from the front of the boat? Sounded like a cordless screwdriver!? :roll_eyes:

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    P.S.- Don't worry about being boatless... riding in Aaron's boat, you need to remember to wear your life vest and be ready to start using his $5 bilge pump (hand pump). :smile2:

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I only paid $4 for it, thank you very much! :cool2: Hey, it beats using a coffee can! :smile2:

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    welcome to the boc. rend lake sporting goods is on highway 15 just west of mt. vernon. there is also lanny's on tenth street in south mt. vernon. both are great supply stores.

11. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    There are a few like that here in Henderson! You all know who you are. LOL

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Also some like that here in evansville. gotta watch ur back. or else u might have a crazy monkey on the back or ya. lol

13. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Glad to see you found the BOC,there is a great amount of information here.I fish the IL and the Miss up near the central part of the state.Try catfish conection.com for all your needs they are a local Il family store. Good Luck John(Ole Bullhead)Hagen

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Jerry!!

15. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Welcome to the BOC Jerry.

16. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to BOC from St Louis.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC. Good to see ya getting the prince and princesses interested in fishing.

18. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

And thanks for the website on catfish connection. I will be getting my Christmas list ready for them.

Brian, my wife was looking at my "list" of items we needed for our tackle box. She's like,"But its only catfish! You shouldn't need that much!" I can only tell her don't hate the player, hate the game! Her Grandpa was one of the best fishermen I'll come to known. I never had a boat and used an old Mitchell spinnning reel and rod. He knew how to go fishing on the cheap and could almost smell fish out. We lost him eight years ago, but have the fondness of memories.

Truefully, I'm pretty much a Thoreauist when it comes to equipment. I do have one of the biggest boxes Plano makes, but I like to take few items with me on trips. I've got real cane pole drying as we speak, getting ready for spring panfishing. Give me a cane pole, line, a few hooks, and splitshot and I'm off to the nearest creek for whatever happens to bite.

I do get out to more than just Egypt and Rend. I'm a believer in the little state parks and city lakes we have around here. Last week, I took the kids to Belle Woods over by Grayville on route 1. They stocked lake trout on 10/20 and we made it there and had a great time. I had my three kids, and eight poles to watch! I finally made the kids go to only one pole each, so I could get a line in the water. After a couple of hours, the trout fishing slowed down enough and the two youngest went over to the playground to play around with the over little ones. I rigged up a bottom rig and baited it with corn and marshmellows. The oldest Princess and I got our limit of twelve channel cats in the next hour. Nice two to three pounds channels, and they gave us a great fight on light panfish equipment.

In other smaller lakes and ponds, when I was in high school, we ran trot lines and jugs all night long. Its a blast chasing those beercan jugs around a lake at night in a john boat with paddles. I saw that STRIKE KING has some nice looking jug outfits for sale at Wally World. I think they were >$4 each. Kind of pricey, but they include everything inside. I might pick a few up every pay day til I get enough to fish with.

Jerry

19. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    For jugs.. I just use 2 liter soda bottles. I am addicted to making my own jugs... Aaron can attest to that as we have fished with my jugs a couple of times. It is basically an art form in my opinion. LOL.

Paint a certain way, reflective tape, rigging... its great fun to make and fish with too.

I just spent my morning snelling up a bunch more circle hooks with 30lb mono. GEtting ready to fish this weekend (like all weekends). Been a long, long time since i used corn and such. The boys here converted me to castnet throwing and catching baitfish.

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Good deal Jerry. Welcome