Just saying hello.

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by takeaction, Sep 18, 2008.

1. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Hello all,

Just got my membership validated seconds ago.:big_smile:

About us: My wife and I live in Ware Shoals (just north of greenwood), and have our son and granddaughter living here. Before you ask how I am 38 and have a granddaughter (actually 2 this weekend! WOOHOO! second youngest daughter is due this weekend!), I am married to an older woman. :wink: I moved out here from Arkansas 10 years ago to be with my wife, where I catfished ALL the time. I have never fished SC until 2 days ago. We didn't catch a thing but it was great being at the water again after 10 years! We plan on doing MUCH fishing now. We are planning on buying one of the hobie mirage drive tandem kayaks hopefully, so we can float the saluda down to lake greewood, and do a LOT of lake greenwood fishing when my health allows.

About me: I am disabled due to several reasons, main one being 3 crushed discs in my spine with spinal tear. I can still walk but but I have to use a cane on my good days and a walker on bad days (no fishing on bad days) and can't carry anything over 5-7 pounds without excruciating pain, so you will probably NEVER see me holding a large fish or large stringer of fish. lol I'll be taking pics of course, but probably not me holding them. maybe the wife! :big_smile: Maybe I can get some invisible line and hang it up and me stand behind it and LOOK like I'm holding it? LOL!

At the current moment, I'm waiting on a greenwood county DNR officer to call (I requested it from DNR because the nice lady couldn't answer a couple of questions for me). One of them being a problem I have on the saluda... One thing I can NOT stand is seeing trash on rivers and lakes... It's one of my pet peeves... My wife and I cleaned the bank where we went fishing the best we could and it looks great now, HOWEVER, there is a LARGE pile of trash that has gathered from the flow of the river in a calm place... I can easily wade it, BUT, the problem is that this pile of floating trash is up against a large pile of wood that could be holding a large group of fish or other animals, and to get the trash I would be trampling all over it... As bad as I want to clean it out, I really don't want to harm any natural fish beds... I know for a fact there are bream there because we got a LOT of bites in that area. If the game warden says it's ok, what should I do? I want to get that trash out so bad, but it would kill me to destroy that habitat... I'm at a loss on this one.

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Welcome to the Carolinas.
    One good thing about the kayak is you dont have to lift the fish out of the water.
    I have been thinking about getting me a kayak also.
    Alot of guys fishing your neck of the woods. I am sure they will give you a shout.
    Later,
    Lindsay

3. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    uh oh. newbie question... How do you do the thanks thing for the reply? I see it in all the threads, but I can't find a "thank" button?

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Wayne. You need 10 post before it will show up.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcom to the BOC hope you will enjoy it and the thank you button will show up after you have made 10 post I think that is the magic number

good luck fishing

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc this site is full of good info and great people

7. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Thanks for the info on the ten posts, and thanks for the welcomes. I look forward to all the information I'm getting from reading the posts.:big_smile:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sent you some reps to get you going.

9. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Wayne, Welcome to the BOC.
    Reps for cleaning up the trash, I don't under stand people that throw their trash where ever they like, its like we're living in the personal trash can.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Wayne!!!

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm pretty much like you. My kids and I clean the banks up all the time. One thing I really hate is people leave dirty diapers !!! That's just disgusting in my book. Anyway to answer your question I would think the benefits of cleaning it up would out weigh any damage done by cleaning it up. I'm only guessing but I would clean it up if I could. I just wouldn't disturb the natural cover, just carefully pick out the trash if ya can.

Welcome to the BoC and also thanks for doing your part in keeping SC lakes/rivers clean.

-Jim-

12. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I'm going to try to post a picture of what I'm talking about on the trash. I can probably get MOST of it without touching the structure, but there is alot that can't be seen in this picture.

I don't know if you can go full size, but I have a decent digital camera that you can zoom in to a great detail with. Here goes.

Nevermind. it shrinks it to small to even see the red circle I put around it. So let's try a link to my personal website pic of it. There's nothing yet of interest on the website, so if you try to browse it, don't hope for much. LOL There's nothing there yet.

http://www.smithfarming.com/saludatrash1.JPG

I hope that worked right.

As you can tell, the tree that fell gathered a LOT of brush and made a huge home under there.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wayne Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

14. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    WOOHOO! The game warden finally called! He said that if I want to clean the river, ain't NO GAME WARDEN EVER gonna tell me to stop! He also said that "IF" cleaning a spot destroys a shelter, don't worry about it, there are thousands more for them to go to. Even with that said, I still have no intention on harming it any more than is absolutely necessary!

He also answered ALL of my other questions that a lot of you will probably laugh at... Keep in mind I've never fished in this state and the regulations book is not thorough on these questions.

2) is float fishing the Saluda River from the park in Ware Shoals to lake greenwood legal? Yes it is! as long as it's human powered ONLY. :smile2:

3) do I need a commercial license to throw a cast net to catch bait for me and the family to fish with? NOPE :smile2:

4) Why can't I find a length limit on bass on the saluda river and lake Greenwood? Because there isn't one... :eek:oooh:

and the big one!

5) is it legal to carry a .22 pistol in the boat while floating to protect me and my family from snakes or anything else? Yes, but... If it's ON YOU, you have to have a concealed permit... If it's in the boat and an officer comes to you, you MUST IMMEDIATELY tell the officer that you have a loaded weapon on board. No need for a permit if it's in the boat and not on you. :big_smile:

Needless to say, I am extremely happy now! So is Karen (the wife)!

Cleanup will start tomorrow! gotta make a net of some kind to scoop up trash that might get away from me. Will take pics of before, during, and after! Gonna take our son cause of that dang tire. I can't even THINK about lifting that thing without thinking of the pain that would cause. LOL!

Now all I need is the boat!

15. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Wayne welcome to SC & the BOC.

PS. It isn't a crime to be a young grandpa it can be a blessing I hope. I am 36 now with a 2 year old grandson. Just waiting for him to be able to track around with me in the woods & on the water while i'm still able to do so. I didn't get to spend that much time with my grandparents, so I hope it will be different for my grandson. I didn't marry an older woman ( can't believe you said that LOL ) I started young.

16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Wayne.

What part of Arkansas did you come from?

I am from South Arkansas.. Deep south lol about 10 miles from the arkansas/louisiana border.

Hope you enjoy this site for many years to come.

Check out the member library. There is all kinds of stuff in there that will give you tons of ideas and show you how to do a lot of things you might want to do.

Welcome again.

17. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I was born and raised around East End, Arkansas. 15 miles south of Little Rock. My favorite catfishing spot was on the Arkansas river. I would put in at the boat ramp just south of the Wrightsville prison (can't remember the name of it, but it's public). about 1-1.25? miles south, if even that far on the left side is a small rock outlet. I would pull just behind it and tie off to the giant rocks. We would take our poles, only one each, and cast straight out into the middle of the river, casting upstream as far as we could cast, and tightline it as far as it would go without coming out of the middle.

You won't get a cat EVERY cast, but you should NEVER have a cast that you don't get a bite. :wink:

We never once came home with less than 30, and they were 7# and up. Yes, alot of people catch and release, but we fed 8 families with our catches, so please don't hate me. I plan on doing the same thing here, feeding families that don't have food. donating to the local food shelter, etc. There are a lot of people in this area that are good people, that need food.

18. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    ACK! I forgot! If you go to that place (anyone!) that I just mentioned , when you see the rock outlet and start heading to it, RAISE YOUR ENGINE! there is a hidden rock levy under there! It wouldn't let me edit my post so I had to make another one. :embarassed: Sorry

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Wayne,

Welcome to the BOC!! Getcha a cane pole and tape a coat hanger on the end, it works great for picking up trash that's over or around such structure. I pick up trash all the time..........it also makes me sick! Make sure you check with DHEC on how much fish should be eaten out of the areas you fish. The rivers and lakes in SC are poluted from Dumb####'s who don't care about the environment. Welcome!

20. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Checked DHEC when we lived in Columbia. It still says the same thing for this area. Lake Greenwood, and the Saluda River from north of lake greenwood all the way to NC is completely clean with no restrictions on any species. :) BELOW the lake greenwood dam is a different story though. it's bad