Just Retired in Clarksville Area need ideas on locating Cats.

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Aftercats, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Just retired after 22+ in the Army and now ready to get a life. Hunting and fishing are top of my list. I really want to learn how to locate and catch the big Cats I hear are in this area. Also can use some help on a good Catfish pole and reel. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC you found a good bunch of people here. I fish the cumberland out near dover and bumpus mills and many of the guys around here fish the steam plant. It's hard to beat the abu and peen reels for cats and I fish them also but my favorite is now the pflueger trion round baitcaster model 66 it's the only trion with a clicker and I my favirote rods are challengers.

good fishing
    Danny

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Aftercat, what kind of reel do you prefer, baitcast or spinning?

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Aftercats I to live in clarksville , drop me a line maybe we could go fishing.

5. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I appricate any help you guys can give me. I am currently in Hawaii on business and will return around the 17th of March. So please keep in touch. I really like the bait casters for heavy fishing but have also used spinning reels. I have looked at the ABU reels but they don't hold alot of line or very high poundage on line. Am I looking at the wrong ones?

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Alot of my fishing gear is shakespeare, not the best but not the worst. As a matter of fact the only different pole is mitchell setup. Just look for items on sale.

7. CatMan01

CatMan01 New Member

State:
    TENN
    i guess im just a cheap guy, but i go and look for some walmart specials on cat rods and reels. and they work just fine for me. havent lost a fish yet nor had problems with the funcionality. tncatfishin, maybe we could hook up sometime and find them.

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Aftercats, welcome to the BOC!! I like you retired from the army here. I live in Cumberland Furnace and work on the airfield at Fort Campbell. When you get back, give me a holler and we'll see if we can find some cats here to play with.

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Daryl, I use abu 7000c3 and they will hold any amount of line that you want. I fish with 80lb. power pro and put some old mono on for backing and put 150 yards of main line. Also the 6500 c3 is a good reel. As far as rods go I use 7'10" one piece rod with cork handles and stainless steel eyes, medium heavy and heavy action.

10. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Aftercats welcome to BOC . you will find a lot of guys in the Clarksville area that are retired Army. I have 2yrs 5months left before I'm in the status of retirement :0a10: I have 16yrs of active duty and the rest reserve time. You will find that the guys here are full of advice and willing to help you in any way they can. just drop a line of two and you will get the help and tips you are looking for.

walmart has the abu 6500 reels which a lot of the guys use. I use shakespeare and berkley catfish rod 9 ft and the 7'10. berkley big game 25-40 lb line with 5/0 circle hooks and 3 oz sinkers .