Just replanted

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, May 12, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Just got back in from replanting part of the garden. All the heavy rains we've been having flat washed part of it away. Here's hoping we have better luck this time!!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Deb,all I have in so far is onions,squash and snow peas. The peas aint up yet ,but they are breaking the crust. I'll get more in after I get back from my nieces graduation this weekend. I didnt want the neighbor to have to spend too much time tending my garden while I was gone for 4 days:wink:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's been so cool and wet this spring, all i have in the ground is onion sets. After this weekends gathering, i'll get it planted. Ground is still pretty cool here yet.

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't feel bad, I haven't even got my garden tilled yet. In fact there is nothing that has been planted down my way. All the farmers around here are in really bad moods. You can't even say hi to any of them without them going off about the weather. This has been a very wet spring and not one farmer has any corn planted. Every day that goes by the yield is dropping. Every day that goes by we're loosing money. Won't be long before we can't plant any corn. All the fields are over grown with weeds that are sucking up all the nutrients. The weather man is calling for 70% chance of rain today. If we miss the rain that is supposed to come today then we can get in the fields maybe tomorrow.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My one main garden still has water sitting on it,,,, I planted a flat of mixed tomatos yesterday,, I have potatoes, swiss chard and cabbage up in my early garden, on my sand hill.

That field might be June before I plant it,,,, grrrrrrrrrr,, raining here now.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Tricia, I understand what you are going through, as I have many friends who are in the same boat. I usually hear from a member here, Bearcat, by this time of year, on how his plantings have went. He hasn't posted in months, so I can guess he is quite busy in his Nokomis, Ill dairy farm. He has to rely on his crops to feed his milk cows.
    Last year, where I deer hunt, they had to plant all their crops on the higher ground that had been pasture land. None of the high quality lower fields have been planted for two years now because of wet springs.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Got mine in. The last frost was Monday night so I put my bedding plants in yesterday. I have peas six inches tall and beginning to climb, I put them in St. Patrick's day. This is the norm for weather and planting time around here. We have had our share of rain, but we had several days of high winds and it dried it out really fast. I've had a heck of a time keeping up with the grass though, man' it's been growing fast this year! lol
    I hope it dries out for you guys soon........:big_smile:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Deb, I used to be one of those had to plant Good Friday people.
    One year I got tied up and couldn't plant until the 3rd week in May.
    Prettiest best prodcuing garden I ever had.
    I'll plant a few things this weekend. My first things.

When you plant in May you got warm soil, the cold nights are gone, and your plants don't get wind whipped from an all day blowing wind.

I don't rush a garden anymore.

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Put what garden I have in over the weekend. Zucchini, tomatoes, squash, peppers. Don't do any row crops anymore. Wet weather here to, but I have raised beds and they do well to get something in.

Usually don't like to plant before the 15th of May, but was bored and did it. Cool to cold, raining now and will rain again on the weekend. Got a neighbor that farms 6000 acres of corn and bean ground. He is going a little nutsy-squirrely right now.. Can't get his equipment out. Ah well, what ya gonna do?

Who needs cornflakes anyhow?

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually plant 3 gardens every year....due to spacing...I have them out in different parts of the yard. I usually try to plant in 3 rd week in april....but this year I was going to wait until may anyway because like mark said....warmer soils and less winds. I have managed to get one garden planted with potatoes, corn, onions, and put some cucumber seeds out yesterday, just before another rain came down. My other gardens need to be tilled one more time and then I can finish up. More rain in the forcast for the next couple days....who knows? It will stop soon and then you wont be able to get a drop out of the sky when you need it.:crazy:

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have 90 tomato plants that are knee high and they are all on my porch.
    My wife started them from seed and we have been trying to put them in
    the garden for weeks. Its been to wet. Every time it gets dry enough to
    plant it rains again. Maybe this weekend.

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I finally(!) today got my tomato plants in the ground. I bought them about a month ago & put them in pots. It's been so wet there hasn't been time to get them in the ground. Of course, I did have to get a new bed worked up, which I got done today. Got the plants in the ground, got the pepper plants side-dressed, came in, showered.....and now we're getting a nice light, steady rain....just right!:wink:

Attached Files:

13. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Roxie thats looking good. You been workin hard.

14. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great looking garden you got there Roxie.:006:

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Randall. It's only a row of tomatoes & a row of peppers, but that's really all we need. We like to "play" at the river too much to have a very big garden to tend to!:wink:

16. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I hear you Roxie, you cannot take away too much time on the water. I would go crazy lol.:006: