just remembering

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by dallas, Mar 10, 2008.

1. dallas

dallas New Member

State:
    Jackson,Georgia
    Was sitting here reading all the new post on all the new subjects, and just starting thinking about the first time I went fishing, it was well about 45 to 47 years ago, with my grand-daddy. He worked as a prison guard on the chain gang back then. He woke me up early one saturday morning and put me in the backseat of the car to sleep on the way to the river. He always said God gave him the nose to "smell the fish" well we loaded up the boat with crappie, blue-gills and catfish that day, and most every other time he had time to take me.
    I grew up and never fished that much, just every once in a while, then grand-daddy had a stroke, and after a few years he relearned how to walk with a cane, his whole left side was paralized, my uncle had a fish pond that he used his tractor to smooth around one side so grand-daddy could walk around it and get close to the bank, so one week-end I went up with him toted his poles and baited his hooks like he did for me, and boy did we have a blast catching fish. Well grand-daddy is long gone to heaven now , prolly fishing with Jesus, who knows, last year I went out and found a old '66 model v-hull just like the one he used to have and get choked up every time I crank it up.
    Miss you grand-daddy, but will see you again someday and we will fish every day, I promise.
    Dallas

2. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good memorys of our first fishin teachers stay with us always! I`m sure your gran-daddy has got some good holes waiting to show you, same as my dad & uncle have waiting for me.

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Its been a long time since I sat and thought about all the fishing my grandfather and I did. I miss the way lifes problems had no affect on his mood. i guess we all take the easy things in life for granted. Thanks for sharing Dallas.

Matt

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    The memorys are what they were giving us . I hope one day to be thought of in the same way as I think about my family that is long gone

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My Grandfather (Paw Paw) was also the man who introduced me to catfishing. My brother and I spent summer days over there and fished a neighbors lake a couple times a week. He also introduced me to river catfishing, which is what I love to do. He used to use big diawa spinning reels and surf rods while catfishing and I though he could cast farther than anybody in the world. He died 17 years ago and I think about him every time I'm catfishing. Even though I mostly use baitcasting reels now, I still always use my big Diawa spinning reel on a 10' rod.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice post. Hopefully i'll fish with momma again.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dallas for sharing some of your precious memories. Enjoyed.

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Great post...
    My grandpa didn't do much fishin but my Dad did. Sure miss him !!!

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    fishing is all about the memories that are made while doing it.