Just ramblin....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mike81, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Probably my favorite song and another great one with it.......

[youtubevid]3J8q4cBSkTQ&feature=related[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]ig-llFLnIUo[/youtubevid]

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    [youtubevid]6pbO76rmBpc[/youtubevid]

As many of ya'll know my sons moved out this summer and they are seeing just how hard it is to make ends meet, and trying hard to keep going and all. One of them came in yesterday--I think I told ya'll he raps, and though some of us (his dad included) may not call it singing, Jordan really tries hard to use his voice and he's got a good one. Some of the ones doing that do tell life stories in those lyrics, it's not ALL about drugs and all, though alot of it is. No it's not the avenue I would pick for him, but it's his life. AND He has a "real" job too but singing is his dream...

He had talked to my older son some time back and found out that this song was a favorite of mine and one I had dedicated to my dad years ago, even though I'm a daughter and not a son.

He downloaded this and called me to my study and played this for me, and said "This is me and you and dad, mom...I love ya'll." and held my hand the whole time it played and had us BOTH crying our eyes out.

I wanted to post on it yesterday cuz it effected me so, but I said NOOOOO they don't wanna hear that...

Thanks for posting this Mike, it was like you opened the door for me to share that most intimate moment with my son, one that will never leave my memory for years to come. How uncanny.

THAT'S MY JOB
    Recorded by Conway Twitty
    Writer: Hap Hall?

I woke up cryin' late at night - when I was very young
    I had dreamed my father - had passed away and gone
    My world revolved around him - I couldn't lie there anymore
    So I made my way down the mirrowed hall and tapped upon his door.

And I said, "Daddy, I'm so afraid!
    How would I go on, with you gone that way?
    Don't wanna cry anymore
    So may I stay with you?"

And he said,
    "That's my job, that's what I do
    Everything I do is because of you
    To keep you safe with me ...
    That's my job, you see."

Later we barely got along - this teenage boy and he
    Most of the fights it seems - were over different dreams
    We each held for me ...
    He wanted knowledge and learning - I wanted to fly out west
    "Said I could make it out there - if I just had the fare
    I got half, will you loan me the rest?"

And I said, "Daddy, I'm so afraid
    Theres no guarentee in the plans I've made
    And if I should fail, who will pay my way back home?"[/COLOR][/B](his reference to he and John)

And he said,
    Ev'rything I do is because of you
    That's my job, you see."

Every person carves his spot - and fills the hole with life
    And I pray someday I might - light as bright as he.
    ( a reference to me)

Woke up early one bright fall day - read the tragic news
    After all my travels, I settled down - within a mile or two
    I make my livin' with words and rhymes - and all the tragedies
    Should go into my head and out instead - as bits of poetry.

But I say, "Daddy I'm so afraid
    How will I go on - with you gone this way
    How can I come up - with a song to say, "I love you."
    ( for us both)

Ev'rything I do is because of you
    That's my job, you see."

"Ev'rything I do is because of you
    To keep you safe with me."

The last verse of this really had us going where it talks about the "words and rhymes" cuz that's what what he wants to do so much. As the song played he told me which parts were about me and his dad in his life...they are marked in blue.

Sorry so long winded, but I had a story to tell this morning. Oh well forgive me :big_smile:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Your right, i hate rap music:confused2: Most of it's just mumbo jumbo crap in my opinion. He's a grown man and can/will make his own choices in life. To an extent i'll back him in anything he does and will always love him, right or wrong. It's his dream and i pray that it comes true for him in the end.:big_smile: I remember daddy didn't like my rock n roll, my long hair or the way i dressed. Oh well, he's still my best friend and backs me in everything i do, right or wrong.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to Cher and John. Sounds like you have raised a fine young man there!!

5. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Thank you hon...he is by NO means perfect, lord knows we've had our rounds, and will probably have more but he does definitely KNOW right from wrong and how to be respectful cuz by golly we taught him that!

Even if he don't do as I would like him to...He's still mine :big_smile:

and Mike sorry if I highjacked your post, that wasn't my intention, I was so glad for the opportunity to share cuz it meant so much to me.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Cher, you didn't hijack anything, just threw out what i was feeling for others who it might be just wanting to listen and think and get some feelings out.... That is a great song, I've always loved it....about life and family.... John and Yourself are great folks. We should cherish every moment with our children and support them the best we can, whether we truly agree with them or not is not as important as helping them be everything they can be in life.... Good luck to ya'll and your family :big_smile:

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Well buddy it sure did work, it was like something that was meant just for me and I find that in here and in church ALOT..Ever gone to church and felt like the preacher was talking to just YOU...I do that ALOT!

I thank you for it and I tried to rep you for it but I can't :sad2:

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Understand exactly what ya mean, so glad it meant someting to you. If 100 folks thought it was a stupid post I don't care, if it was worth it to you and maybe some others that's all that matters....

Funny you should say "Ever gone to church and felt like the preacher was talking to just YOU" I'll admit. I don't go to church regular, but I did go last weekend.... i felt like his sermon was talking straight at me!!! Even though it probably applied to alot of folks there....I was like, yeh, ya know what, your right..... lol

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    life does get gone fast.
    it's like jest yesterday it was 1975 and I was just a small boy.
    and friends and family were coming back from a different war.
    it's funny how that song made me think of this.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    A great version of the song with my future wife making an appearance....lol Well at least I hope so. I wouldn't call it stalking...I call it persistance...lol :wink::smile2:

[youtubevid]6BQoJDHZsGM&feature=related[/youtubevid]

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Yep good song for someone that you would love to be with and can't, for whatever reason.