Just purchased some leader lines

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by wolfman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I just bought 3 different leader lines the other day at Bass Pro to snell my hooks with. Berkley Big Game 50lb, Ande 50lb and Cajun 40lb, any tips,thoughts or opinions on these? I will be targeting mostly blue cats in the Ohio river this year.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used the big game and ande lines for leaders, and both performed great. No experience with the Cajun line.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only one of the 3 that I have used is the 50lb. ande clear and it is great. The other two should work well also.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All I can add is this. DH and I did some breakage tests on lines a couple of years ago and the Cajun line didn't hold up worth a dam.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    George could you tell us more about your test on the line's you tested? That would be some awesome information.

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use 50 & 60 lbs Berkley Big Game Leader Line - the stuff thas is sold in the large reels, not a lot of line on them just on big reels labled as leader material. Never had it break. I use 30 lbs Cajun and 40 lbs Berkley Big Game as my main line and have landed numerous 40-45 lbs blues without a break off.

7. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I forgot - I also cut off about 6' of main line and tie new leaders before each trip

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is not meant to disscredit your findings but.
    A true test of line strenght , lies in it's length (the intire rig). You can take a short length of any line (1' to 3') and break it between two solid objects, at a lower pressure than they are rated for.
    Did these tests take into account: the rod pressure, line length, and the torque that the fish puts on it? I think that there are to many variables to get a true test of a lines abilities.
    If what ya'll came up with was true, I would break off my line on every hookset, LOL!!!

9. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    That sounds like a great tip; there's no telling how badly dinged the leader and the knots get.

-- Rich