Just picked up some spider wire

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catfishing is fun, Mar 9, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I bought some 50lb (10lb diamitor) for my big cat reel, and some 10lb (2lb diamitor) for my zebco 33 aka my lil cat reel, is this good line, also what knots should i not use on it?

Thanks for the help.

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I just bought some 50# spider wire off of catish connection myself since it was on sale. On your big cat reel i would use mono backing and then just spool up approx. 150 yds. of the spider wire. If your mono backing is a different diameter then your braid then use the albright knot to join to two. To tie on your terminal tackle with braided line the clinch not won't work, you will have to use the polomar knot. I am new to braided line myself and am gonna spool two of my reels up for this season to see how i like it. Go to www.animatedknots.com for visuals on how to tie these knots, it's a great site. Also I would use mono line for your leader since braided line isn't very strong if rubbed against a rock, and it will help you keep most your line if you have to break off due to a snag. I plan on using 30# big game for my leaders.....

3. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I use it on my ultra light...remember no stretch, could jerk the lips out of a crappy.

4. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

How is it not strong when rubbed againt rocks, it broke my fingernail clipers, and i had to saw it with my good sissors?

Just wondering

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i always wondered since i saw a saltwater fishing show on espn (HUNT SUNDAY IS LIKE MY BIBLE) and they were fishing for marlin and the guy was sayin how they put an 80lb pound mono backing on the reel then put 250 yards of 80lb braid on it, whats the purpose? i dunno but im pretty sure im missing sumthin here. :big_smile:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

The mono backing is to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.At least thats what I've heard.I've only used braid once and it was on a 33.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    from what i understand the mono backing keeps the braided line from slipping on the arbor, and it makes it so that you won't have to use so much braided line which is expensive, and will save you money. I' am personally new to braided and am speaking from research that I have done within this site and manufacturers advice. Just think about it, it would be easy to spool 300 yds. of 50# spider wire on a mid-sized baitcaster, but if you do what I'm gonna do and use the mono backing as a filler, and finish off with 150 yds of braided then you will be able to spool two reels with 300 yds of braided.( or save the line and spool up the same reel in a couple of years) Now about the braided line breaking along rocks and heavy cover. It's a known fact that one of the drawbacks of braided line is that it isn't as abrasive resistant as mono line. Everyone lines there rigs up a lil different, this is just how I'm going to do mine. I hope this clears things up a lil for ya, did that knot website help ya any? I found it very resourceful for myself.....

8. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That sure is a fantastic site with great step-by-step instructions. Thanks!

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    You absolutely need to put mono backing on your reel (in other words, don't strip off all your old line, leave a little bit so you don't have to use up all your expensive spiderwire) so that your line doesn't slip on the spool. Been there, done that. The spiderwire is slick enough that it will slide around and slip right off your reel when you get hung up or get to tangling with a big fish. If it's loose enough and you have no backing, it'll sometimes just sit & spin instead of gaining line when you reel. Trust me, leave some mono on that spool.

Another thing: learn how to tie a polamar knot if you don't already know how to tie one. They're excellent for braided line. Most every other knot I've tried can slip out on you at the worst possible time.

10. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I have been using braided line since the latest wave of them have come along. I'm talking about since the creation of spectra. They now use it in bullet proof vests because of its toughness. They used to use kevlar, but it has since been replaced with spectra. First, there is no monofilament that is as abrasive resistant as spectra. I should not have, but used to bite through my mono when retying, even up to 20lb. I just can't do it with spectra, even the smallest diameters. The 10lb/2lb diameter power pro I couldn't bite through without a little chewing. These are great lines. Virtually zero stretch, the most abrasive resistant on the market, and when using a lure or holding your pole while catfishing you can feel everything that happens to your lure or bait. When bottom fishing in the river I fish i can even tell when a fishes body or tail brushes up against my line. It is that sensative. It does have down sides to it as well though the biggest isn't the slipping of knots or on the spool,or the price, but the line basically floats so if your using it with a light say crappie jig or something, you might have a hard time getting it to sink. But in its place it is hard to beat. Oh yeah, don't set the hook to hard it will straighten out a hook in a heartbeat. Hope this helps, good luck on the water!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've used Spiderwire once, but it was hard to judge because I put it on a worn-out Zebco Classic One reel when I was younger. I appreciate the insight.

12. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    The way I understand it the backing only needs to be used or some electrical tape around the spool to attach the line to, unless it has a place on the spool to tie it to. On my 7000c3's it has a little screw on the spindle that I've been told would be the best place to tie spider wire or power pro to, also the backing is good to save money--power pro is around 12.00 to 15.00 for a 150 yd. roll where as big game is only 8.00 for a large roll, depending on the size of mono you buy.