The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this cut? Nothing was labeled as backstrap so maybe that's it. 2 deer and I think there are 4 of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one piece of meat and I think I have 2 per deer. Nothing I received was labeled as backs traps though. I got "steaks, tenderloins, and roasts".

·
Banned
10,798 Posts
Never heard of a fishtail cut, I cut my own up , so I KNOW what I'm getting

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I hear you. As we all know, the steaks are certainly not all the same. The round steaks need to be prepared different than the butterfly steaks etc. This butcher didn't label these well at all.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've heard the old timers talk about a fish loin in a deer..it's the lighter colored muscle inside the deer on either side of the spine. Some also call it preacher meat, most just call it tenderloin.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tenderloin. I was raised calling it "FISH". Or phish for all i know, never seen it written. If you open the package it will be two seperate muscles , one smaller than the other but similar long slender shape. Its tenderloin....

·
Registered
789 Posts
Josh those are deadly POISON!!!!Do not eat them-put them in a small styrofoam cooler with dry ice,I'll pm you with my address and you send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly-JK, as was said small tenderloins,usually melt in your mouth tender-I slice them about 3/4 to an inch thick,eggwash,roll in seasoned flour and skillet fry until golden brown,slap yo momma good.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Just send em to me on drie Ice.
I will cut em into 1/2 inch chunks flash fry in bacon grease in a cast iron skillet pull em and drain. Make white gravy from whats in the pan add 6 to 8 shakes of Louisiana hot sauce toss meat back in simmer for 10 min serve on top of fried taters and onions with fried toast. Cold beer or ice tea to compliment . Tell ya what after the day after IF I survive Wink!!!! Manna from heaven mabe god would strike me dead for it?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Speaking of the inside tenderloin, if you can its best to remove it when you gut the deer and get on ice quick..It dries out fast. I carry a couple big ziploks with me and when I gut the deer, I'll go ahead and remove them and drop in the ziplok...same with the liver. They are pretty easy to remove .I just cut down each side then starting at the head end slowly "scoop" them out with the tip of the knife blade.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Zombie thread from 2014 (probably recommended by the new program) but what the heck! I hadn’t seen it before.

If those are really the inner loins (that’s what I’ve always called them) they are the equivalent of filet mignon! I butterfly them the width of a slice of bacon, wrap the bacon around it, then wear it good in a cast iron skillet. Roll it around enough to just crisp the bacon & it will be a beautiful medium rare!

·
Registered
28 Posts
it's not a cut you would traditionally cut out of either a backstrap or tenderloin. but you can cut meat many different ways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts