Just picked up an ABU 5000....anyone ever paint a reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by harper81, Nov 11, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
  2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Can,t really go wrong for $25!:wink:

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC

That's what I thought too, but I have just had a rough patch of paying too much for things. I paid $30 for a Shakespeare SKP2000A and a crappy rod at the pawn shop the other day and came home and googled it and found I definitely paid too much as many people don't like that reel and it was a cheap reel to begin with.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Come on down here to the fishing tackle review section and ask for some opinions BEFORE you make your purchases.You,ll always get some good feedback.Lot of people willing to help out here.Plus on here,you,ll be getting info on how it works out for cattin..On painting it pink,I think I,d look for somebody to powder paint it for ya or else try doing it yourself.:wink:.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I'd pay that much for one any day. :big_smile:

6. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Got the reel today. It is in good shape. The level wind was sticking though so went to a local tackle store and got a pawl and that fixed it up. Loaded it up with some Power Pro and I am ready to fish with it. I also convinced my wife to leave it black so now I won't have an ugly pink reel. :cool2:

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    Here soon i think that is the next step to reel customizing, custom paint jobs... something i might experiment with this winter with an old reel and air brush kit and see what happens, down side is im not so good but practice makes perfect...

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the worm gear and pawl problem mite be back. so watch it and keep it clean and oiled bro. i have had abu's in the past that would eat them up in a season musky fishing! something just not rite in a few reels that wears them out i suppose. most are very good reels though, nice buy!!!!!

9. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That looks like a one-5000 which is a cheaper version of the 5000. It is a very good reel and tough. All of the one-5000 I've owend has a black plastic line guide cover. That is the major difference between them. You can change the side covers real easy, and there are a bunch of them on ebay just type in abu plates in the search window. Just about any later 5000,5500,6000 and 6500 plates will work. Change out the line guide with a dual bearing line guide kit and it will cast alot farther and reel in alot smoother and is simple to do. this reel will land anything you catch and last a lifetime if taken care of. The only difference between this reel and the 6500 is the width of the frame. Enjoy it it was a good buy.