Just ordered the Shakespeare Arsenal HD

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by varmint_sniper, Jun 24, 2009.

1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Hey yall just orderes the Shakespeare Arsenal HD in the size 20 which holds 330yrs of 20lb line but i wanted to run 40lb test for the oh. river what do yall think of these reels ? how do they cast as ill be fishing them on Quantum big cat rod's 7'6 med/ hvy and a 7'6 hvy act. with no loss than 3 oz of lead and a god size live bait ? any info helps that

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive got 4 of them sittin on Berkley glowsticks. I cant remember what model I got right off the top of my head but I think they are 30's. Got them last year toward the end of the season and I havent hooked into anything great with them yet but they seem pretty stout. Best flat so far on them was 20# and the reel handled it just fine. I like that they come standard with a big power handle and the clicker is really loud compared to Abu's. They arent real expensive and seem like a great buy for the money. Once I got the clutch adjusted the way I wanted, they started to cast pretty well. I usually throw 3oz sinkers and Im runnin 40# BBG on them right now and I think if I switched to Power Pro I could get a few more yards out of my casts. I really think that most of the issues I was running into with casting was operator error, not reel error. Keep updated on how you like them and what kind of performance your getting out of them. Good luck.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have never used one but it looks like a good reel.

4. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    thax for the replys guys just waiting on them to get hear now i hate to wait lol will keep ya posted on how i like them and how they peform iam glade to hear the clickers are loud was kinda worried bought that

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 2 of them, they wont work for me,,Casting distance is very poor.
    I was lucky to get 30 yds out of a cast and that is with a 12 foot rod.

Anyhing farthur and the reel could not handle it, and would backlash.

The drag was also very jerky, I would not trust them on a big fish.

6. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    they just have to get me through this yr so this winter i can save for some abu 7000c3's is all

7. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    got my reels today and man i think there gonna work can get almost 70 yrd cast outta it with only a 3 oz weight and no bait gonna give them a prober breaking in sat night on the ohio river thax yall...sniper

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It might be a good reel, but I Shakespeare Products, I have use them and they dont work for me.

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I recently bought the 30s...which i know will it was dumb...They are slightly too big BUT i am a HUGE fan. I think it casts great and stuff for the price. Granted its not as good as the abu garcias i am sure of that but for a quarter of the price, for a poor guy, ill cut my loses. lol

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hope you like your new reels. Let us know how the break in goes for ya. I have looked at these reels myself. And when I get home and see what I actually need I might just have to try one out.