Just ordered my Side imaging fishfinder/GPS

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by brother hilljack, Mar 20, 2009.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am very happy to announce that I just ordered me a Humminbird 798 SI unit. I have been wanting one of these since you all started writing about them on here. It should be a great addition to my fishing arsenal and perhaps I will be a good deal more consistent with my fishing.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Congrats Shane. You are gonna love the SI.

Be prepared to see a whole new world underneath your boat.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane congrats on ordering the new SI. If I every hit the lottery I might have one also.:wink: Small chance I don't even play the lottery.:smile2:

4. ChadG

ChadG New Member

State:
    mo
    I also bought the 798. I got it about 2 months ago and I am very happy with it. I mounted it on the console and that is where I would suggest mounting it. You are going to spend a lot time idleing around looking at what is actually down there so that is where I would put it. Get you an sd card so you can save pictures and waypoints to it and use the software from humming bird so you can put them on your computer and look at them on google earth, it is really neat to look at an areial view of everywhere you went on your fishing trip.
    Until I bought mine I was a lowrance guy. I had planned on running both of them because of what people had said about the 2d sonar on the bird, but after I got it and used it for a while I don't even take my lowrance with me anymore.
    You might want to get the unit in your boat and use it a little to make sure the transducer is mounted in the correct place then do the uprade to the latest software for your unit. Yours probably has the old software in it since it just came out about a month ago.

If you have any questions about it, pm me.

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats Shane, best of luck with your fishing

6. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Congrats you wont be dissapointed

7. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Congratulations Shane that is the same one I keep looking at but have not commited the money yet.

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats Shane! I was just looking at one of those on Cabelas today. I actually check here to see if there was good stuff to say about it. I guess that's a yes. Hopefully in a month or two I'll have the $$ to get one too!

9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    congrats, if you have any trouble learning it you know where to go :wink:

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I've got the 797 SI, older version, there is a learning curve with it. You just have to use it, it will come with time. I didn't do like everyone said, to just go out with it and don't try fishing, work with the settings and see how YOU like it set. I broke down and got a stand alone GPS so I didn't have to keep swapping screens back and forth, but that's what works for me.