Just one that got away.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatHound, Nov 21, 2006.

1. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Howdy Folks,

I'd like to read your accounts about the one that "got away". No, not the storied ones - the real ones. Not the made up Moby Dick tales that get bigger with each telling around the campfire or while bellied up to a bar.

You know those memorable occassions that just kind of haunt you ? You can't stop thinking about them, because they really did happen to you. You may not know truthfully how big it was, but, you do know it was a battle to remember either because of the fish's size, the fantastic fight, or the circumstances involved (like equipment failure or lines got tangled). Anyway, here's mine from last year.

I was fishing by myself in a local lake the has channel catfish in it - channels are about the only catfish we have out here really. And, I had one medium rod set-up with a chunk of recently caught white bass for bait. And the other rod (we can only use 2 rods here) I was using to cast into the rocks for some more white bass. It was an ultra-light rod set up. I had a small 1/8 ounce jig on 6 pound test that I was bouncing off the rip rap rocks of the jetty that I was standing on.

On one cast, I let the jig sink a little further down than I normally would in that spot because I had gotten distracted by what appeared to be some action on my other rod - the catfish set-up. However, when I took my attention off my cast to check it out, it was obvious to me, that the movement of that rod was only caused by the wind.

It was a momentary distraction away from my casted jig. Just long enough to allow the jig to fall to the bottom of the lake into the rocks and get snagged. Or, so I thought. As I worked it a little to unsnag it, I remember thinking at that moment, that I only had one jig left in my tackle box and really wanted to recover the one that was snagged.

Well, I gave a little slack and then a little jerk to free it up. My jig gave me a rather large jerk back and the drag on my spinning reel started to scream. I was so taken aback, that I almost lost my footing and followed the jig and fish out into the lake.

I recovered my balance, and the reel was still screaming, and the line was headed out about as fast as physically possible. Although I was holding my rod up high, the tip was at more than a 90 degree angle.

When the drag finally quieted down and stopped making noise, it felt like I was still snagged on the bottom. Inch by inch I tugged and pulled. It lasted for what seemed like an hour. About half way through the experience, some guy about 50 yards away, yelled to me that I should just give up and cut the line because I was obviously snagged on a log out in the lake and it would be better to just call it a loss and get back to fishing. He didn't hear the drag scream apparently or see my line cutting zig zags out to open water. I just ignored the peanut gallery and kept on keeping on.

After an eternity of working my ultralight set-up back to the jetty where I was standing, I got a glimpse of a tail fin. It was a catfish and I was real happy. After the catfish's last ditch run and attempt to escape, I got it to edge of the rocks at my feet. I pulled it's head up and saw the monster. It's head looked like about the size of a football viewed from the side. My little jig looked like an ant on it's lip and was dwarfed by one of the cat's whiskers.

When our eyes met, the fish gave me one last look, a quick shake of it's head, snapped the line, and was gone to the depths.

It wasn't a world record nor even a state one I doubt. It wasn't the biggest one I've ever seen. And, I could even say it probably wasn't the largest catfish I've had on my line. But, on that day, on my ultralight set-up, after that epic battle, for me, it will most likely be one of the most memorable one's that got away. Because it really happend, and I myself, know it.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We had our two daughters out on a wingdike of the Missouri river. I had been to the local butcher shop and had picked up a bucket of beef liver from a freshly butchered Bovine.It was nice and juicy with fresh beef blood! I also had nightcrawlers for bait.I had and still do have a Tiger spincast setup with 20 pound test,so I put a bloody chunck on with a couple of nightcrawlers. I set the line and placed it on my tackel box to kinda set it up a little and proceeded to help my girls with their fishing poles,thus totally ignoring my Tiger Rod.Well I'm deep into helping my kids when all of a sudden my pole hit the ground with a loud WHACK.We all jumped cause it seemed like a loud noise. My husband yells at me to grab my pole so I grabbed,(Not that he needed to tell me I was just a little stunned) and reared back and needless to say the battle was on! I guess I should have played him but I tried too hard to be the boss.I managed to turn him around and get him to come back toward me but when he got in the shallows he just caused a big swirl and splash and he was gone! What a let down! My kids tease me today about it because I talked to him and said "You won this time Mr. Whiskers, but I'll be back! Unfortuantly I have been back several times but to no avail,all I can say is "What a let down"------------Sister Pat:big_smile:

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I had a similar experience at Willard Bay. I used to go there in the late winter/early spring of the year and fish with jigs almost exlusively. I was tryin to get into some walleye or crappie. I used ultralight gear with 4-6 lb test.

Well anyways, i was not havin much success and i tried this real old spoon i had caught fish on before. I caught one decent crappie 10-11" and moved on down the dike a bit. As my lure was gettin rather close to the shore, it stopped movin and I also thought i had hung up on a rock...since the whole dike is large rocks. Then the rock started movin.
    I quickly reached down and opened up the drag a little bit more and the fight began. It went over 20 minutes, with many runs and my heart racing the whole time. I thought i may have caught one of the big wipers there but had no clue what it was.

The only net i used at that time was one of those wooden framed trout nets. I finally got the fish into view and it was the biggest carp i had personally seen. Ya, i was a bit disappointed at first..but it was still one heck of a fun time and i thought to myself.."self, that is a whole summer's worth of catfish bait!"
    The beast was wore out. I finally got it close enought to try to net the darned thing and it did not even come close to fitting into that trout net. I tried to scoop it out with the head and shoulders on the frame of the net and as i did...the fish wriggled it's head hard, my little lure snagged in the net and came out of the fishes mouth, tearing a 5 inch gash in the net. That fish was prolly over 20 lbs, as i caught and landed an 18lber later that year, that was quite a bit shorter.

anyways...it was a heck of a lot of fun!

cyas
    rc

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, this is a gar story, from this past summer.

I was down at the deep area in the creek, which was loaded with big buffalo, carp and gar. I had been surface fishing for these gar for about a month or so.

One day, I went down to try some fishing. After collecting enough bait w/ my cast net, I headed up the trail to my gar spot. I didn't think it was gonna be a good day - until I saw some massive longnose right by the bank.

I got bait on my cheap Eagle Claw treble and then I saw that biggun - must have been at least 8 pounds, probably more. I tossed the bait at him, and he took off with it.

After a minute or two of letting him eat the bait, I set the hook and had my hardest-fighting gar on my line.

I was eager to get him on the bank once I saw that only 1 of the hooks had caught the roof of his mouth. Knowing that I wasn't using the strongest treble, I pulled him in and grabbed him behind the head. But not hard enough. He thrashed free, and before I could grab him again he snapped my 15lb test abrasion-resistant Stren mono and swam off.

I was real disappointed because I hadn't taken any measurements or pictures. But at least I caught him. But when a big fish escapes without any measurements or pics, that is what I call "the one that got away."

Next spring, after we get a flood or two, I hope there will be even better gar in there, waiting for fresh fish on a new, strong hook with a wire leader.​

5. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Well if you go to local GA talk and find one tittled I remember it like it was yestarday, I think you will enjoy that one

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    heres a good one i was snagging for spoonbill a few years ago and thought i had hung bottom so i wraped the line around the rod like i always do and proceded walking up the bank to break my 50# tess when what ever i was hung in moved so i reeled it up tight , well this fish moved toward the bank into the deepest spot of the channel and headed on out towards the big river i was leaning back at a 45* angle holding on with all i had everyone there was watching and knew it was big , it hurt my back and arms and then finaly broke my line , i still wonder how big it was and what exactly it was .