Just my luck...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 320hotrod, Jun 20, 2009.

1. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Went on out the river the other day with another BOC brother, heat index over 100, and man did we sweat! No catfish at all, but I had one rod out with nightcrawlers to catch carp for bait. Well, after a few minutes, fish picked up the worms, put up a pretty good fight, barely fit his big ole head in the net, probably say around 24"-26" carp kinda looking thing. I wasn't sure what it was, too damn hot anyway and too big for me to want to cut it up, cut my finger on the fishing line to boot, so I threw it back. I got curious the next morning and looked it up on the MDC website and found out it was a river carpsucker. State record 2 lbs, North America record of 12lbs. No pic, no proof, just me and my witness. Bet your bottom dollar I got a print out of all the state records with me now. Just my luck.:angry:

2. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like one of my stories.:smile2: Naw, I believe ya. Thats why I have a camera of some sort with me when I go fishing. Go catch that sucker again.

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Oh no, that's the other thing. We did have a camera with us, just didn't think much of the fish. Figured it was just another carp or sucker or something.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOL. Thanks for sharing. Most fish records in my state are memorized. :smile2:

5. festus

festus New Member

HotRod, I had the same thing happen to me. And Aaron, if you ever catch one of those carpsuckers, turn it over to the TWRA. I caught one at Bull Run Steam Plant earlier this year that was 3-4 pounds, I thought it was some kind of buffalo or sucker, but I did get a pic on my cell phone. A few days later I positively identified the fish. Later, I looked in the 2009 TN Fishing Guide, and noticed under river carpsucker "NO ENTRY". So, I would have had a state record myself if I'd known what I was doing. :embarassed:

6. softball434

softball434 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If it was that big you could have broke a record.

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My brother in law fishes for crappie in a pond that has regular 4 lbers come out of it....big old Slabs....he caught one that weight 5 lbs and some ozs, took a picture of it, and took it to the local bait store to be weighed in and checked for state record....the bait store told him it wasnt a state record, so he went home cleaned and ate it......lol... then he checked the records for himself and found that he had beat the record by 4 oz, according to the bait shop scales....:smile2:. He said he aint worried, he will catch another one out of the same pond, bigger than that one....