Just moved to the area...

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by jeremydouin, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, I posted this in the IL forum, but it seems like you guys are much more active over here...so here goes...

I just moved down here from the Springfield area to go to school at SIU Edwardsville. I live here in Glen Carbon and I'm lookin to chase some blues down here while I'm at school. I fished lake sangchris and lake springfield alot and have caught some nice fish out of both lakes.

I went over to Alton lock and dam the other day armed with my cast net and cat rods. Caught 3 big cutter shad and a 16" skipjack in the net. Unfortunately, there were snaggers everywhere and I didn't have much action on the cat rods. I moved down to where wood river creek dumps in the mississippi but had the same result.

I was wondering if anyone could show me around the area and give me a little info on location for the blues and what not. I'm 20 years old, dont drink or smoke, and respectable to everyone. Just lookin for a place to catch blue cats...but if anyone needs a tourney partner, I got a mean hookset and some big flatheads under my belt, so let me know.

SO....if anyone could help me out at all, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Jeremy

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Jeremy, it provides a platform for just what your looking where folks share and find info on cat fishing… We’ll be having a club meeting this Sunday evening, just waiting on time and location… Your welcome to attend and the way folks have been pulling in trophy blues lately, I’m sure there will be some fish stories told also… One of our members attends Rolla, we haven’t came out with a way to get ya all credits for catfishing yet but it sure does beat sitting around in the dorms… :smile2: Again, welcome aboard to the best cat fishing site out there, enjoy and ask away for anything we can help ya with.

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    First off welcome aboard... Im sure one of the guys will jump in and show you the ropes.. Once snaggin season is over im sure you'll find some good fish there..

But i must warn you... PLEASE be careful of what you feed to the sharks in this thread.. Every now and then they go on a feeding frenzy ( all in fun)

Are you sure that was a skipjack you caught yesterday?? alton is known for having a big run around this time.... lol (just kiddin)
    :wink:

4. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Haha willy i know you're kidding, but yeah it was a skipjack, i'm positive. I was surprised at how big it was too. Thanks for the welcome fellas...where are the locations of these meetings usually at?

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Anybody that takes Jeremy out, keep a close eye on him to see what he secretly does to his bait :tounge_out: Seems he always catches the fish when we go hehe...

You'll be doing yourself a favor by taking him out with ya, he's pretty knowledgeable.. I've been fishing quite a bit with him for the last 3-4 years and seen some monsters pulled in by him...

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri

We have met mostly at the conferance room in the back of Cabela’s at the St. Louis Mills Mall which is located in Hazelwood Missouri… have also used one of the Missouri Dept. of Conservation facilities… Cuz should have the time and place posted here soon… That’s good news about the skipjack, last year with all the flooding it messed up the skipjack run below Alton and this year is starting to look much the same…

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ah, so your bringin in a ringer, huh?

8. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    welcome jeremy, I even have a son named jeremy about your age too, so I will be able to remember your name.:wink: Anyway I am in Troy Il not that far from you. I will take you out and I also like to catch flatheads. call me, patrick 618 520-1422. I hope to see you and the other fellows at the meeting.

9. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael Jake - sounds like a good meeting place, I'll definitely be there if possible. Oh and I know where Cabelas is...hehe only been there 6 or 7 times since i've been here 3 months.

Patrick - I appreciate you willing to help me, expect a call from me within the next few days!

Tim - We'll see what happens friday...I'm excited to get out there. We'll switch rods and see what happens...maybe I'll catch a 17lb striper on your rod.

10. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Welcome:
    you dont have to know much bout fishinn to hang out here --Just need to talk a good game,and streatchhhhhh the truth a lot

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Jeremy its great to have you in the area. Well look forward to having you join us at our festivities. I should have somthing up today on a meeting time.

Welcome to the BOC, and Welcome to Gateway Cats. I'm sure the guys can get you in some boats and take you exploring.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeremy.

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Welcome. These guys go enough that you could come hop in the boat whenever you want with most of them. I'm still yet to take the offer up with somebody yet but by golly one of these days I will. :wink:

14. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    welcome to the club my sis went to SIUE last year and the beginning of this year so i know where glen carbon u will get to meet some great people and hear some great stories in the few short months ive been a member i havent heard enough:smile2:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

I'm shooting for having it at Cabelas again. Just cant catch up with the events coordinator at Cabelas. She left me a message saying it was booked from 2 oclock on, and I left a message indicating we would want it sooner that day, but she hasnt called me back yet. I've left her 2 messages, and will try again here in a bit. We need to get our official serious meeting banged out, because the summer is going to be extremely busy with the activities we have planned. Childrens tourney at Busch Wildlife, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Snoopy Pole Tourney, Cabelas Tourney in August, Dollar tourneys, you name it. I'll be needing the Gateway Guys and Gals to step up to the plate in the form of committees for each of these venues.

Like I always say, This isnt Cuz's Club, its YOUR CLUB. Hope this works out to have our meeting this weekend. Please stay tuned to the threads here because I will post it up as soon as I know for sure.

16. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the welcomes fellas, and I look forward to meeting you all. Sounds like a pretty good group of guys here and I'm pumped about hittin the river this year.

17. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Patrick...tried callin ya last night, but I think I got the wrong number, but double checked and I dialed the one you gave me. Got a female "carmen". If you want, you can give me a call at 217-494-0722

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've posted this before, but here is Jeremy with a big ol hawg we (He :embarassed:) pulled in prespawn ....

Attached Files: