just moved to southeast wisconsin

Discussion in 'WISCONSIN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by crusinman2002, Apr 11, 2008.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok, i just moved back up to wisconsin, just outside of mukwonago in racine county. just tryin to figure out where there is good catfishing around here. i read about some stuff up in appleton and on the fox. and i read that tichigan lake gets stocked with channel cats every year from the dnr website. i have never fished for cats up here, got turned on to them while living in north carolina, and now i'm itchin to get catfishin. the fox down by me is really really flooded over, took over quite a bit of land that was next to it, and its moving pretty quickly. i went and tried phantom lake in mukwonago with not even a bite, and it was nice out too, i was using nightcrawler fishin the bottom.

should i fish the fox as it is, or should i wait for the water to go back down to normal? i'll be fishing the fox where County Road L crosses it coming out of big bend towards mukwonago and east troy, the one side isn't too bad, land hasn't been taken over on that side yet, and thats the side with the park on it, but the other side is really flooded now, and will be even more flooded with all this rain we are getting.

when should i start looking for the spawn up here? it should be coming soon, shouldn't it?

sorry for all the questions and long post.

2. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    wow are you itchin' for the cats....lol. i'd wait till the water comes down a bit. i've heard the fox down there is pretty decent, i've never fished it myself though. it is a bit early for those guys too. a water temp. of 50 degrees seems to be the magic number, i'm sure you can catch them before that though if you can find them. i'd throw a crawler out on one rod and some cut bait, or live bait for the flatties, out on another. as far as the spawn goes, that seems to get moving when water temps are in the 70's i believe. which can be june into july depending on the year. usually prespawn seems to be may - june.

3. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Good advice Mat , Welcome back to Wi. Crusinman ! Walleyes are running now , whitebass in a couple of weeks , lilac bloom, channels , flatheads high 70's --80's northerns to . And don't forget those damW#$%^^& turtles !

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i've been goin to tichigan lake the past few nights, getting alot of bullhead, really small ones though, but i've been fishing at the boat ramp down by the dam. seems that the area there is loaded with bullheads. anyone know if there are channel cats in that lake? i looked at the fish map on the dnr site, and there were a few reports of channel cats caught, but they were all on the north side of the lake, and my boat isn't running right yet, so i can't take it out to get up there.

5. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Bullheads are excellent bait for flatheads , I hook mine thru the top lip . Make sure you have heavey enough gear . 50lb. line ,large heavy hooks ect.

6. teckman

teckman New Member

State:
    wis
    Hello
    you can try fishing for cats hwy F and hwy W by Wilmont a park with a boat ramp on F. Have you guys tryed fishing for cats through the ice??