Just moved to Missouri, need a spot to try

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cpalombo, May 19, 2006.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hello! I just moved here from northern mich. I live in the St. Charles area. Being new to cat fishing, can anyone give me a spot to try, a good ramp to leave out of, and some info on the bait to use? I am really interested in getting to know the Mississippi river system, rather than driving a long way to get to a lake/impoundment.

CP

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Not from your area so can't help you there. Just wanted to tell you welcome to the BOC

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    There is a ramp over at the Columbia Bottoms Conservation area that will put you in the Missouri a couple of miles upstream from the confluence with the Mississippi. A couple of miles upstream on the Miss. will bring you to the backside of the Melvin Price dam. Fresh shad is good. There are lots of wing dams on the Mo.

4. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.There are several people on here in your area that could probably help you.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    welcome to the BOC, you'll get help from someone around St. Charles

6. pinto

pinto New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wanted to welcome you to the BOC! And were your brother is moving the missouri river has some good cats in it. Best of luck!

7. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    If you ever make it down to Warrensburg area give me shout and well go fishing.

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Just outta curiousity, are you related to sal palombo here on the boc? I think he too is a michigander.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC palombo. You are now living in arguably the absolute best Big Cat Fishing areas in the World for trophy class Blues and some big Flat heads. Both the Missouri and Mississippi have produced some monster class fish. Begin learning the river system. You will find alot of catfish this time of year in and around the mulitude of wing dykes that the corp of engineers maintains jutting out into the river. Get your self a cast net, and learn to catch the abundance of shad that are in our river systems. Right now you will find them in the feeder creeks getting ready to spawn. Both rivers are high enough to allow you to get into the creeks. I use my trolling motor to run up them and throw the net. Shad are holding anywhere from 10 feet up into the shallows. They are just now starting to jump some since the water temp has hit 61 degrees so watch the surface of the water carefully for them "flicking" the surface. You can use these shad live and hook them through the eyes, the just below the dorsal, or back by the tail. They work great as cut bait also. In your meanderings on the river you will notice very large fish jumping clear of the water behind the wing dykes. Inevitably, you will end up with them in the boat. Use caution behind the dykes as some of these fish weigh in excess of 50 pounds. These are asian big head carps and they make great bait. Make sure your tackle is up to par, as the cats around here get well over 100 pounds. The new world record was set in May a year ago, with a monster blue cat of 124 pounds caught on the Mississippi River just below Alton Dam. AS for spots, you will find your own eventually. Concentrate your efforts above and below the wing dykes and you wont be dissappointed. You can find lots more information on the various threads posted on this board. Good Luck. :0a26:

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Chris, welcome to the BOC.:big_smile: And from the fridged northland...LMAO...spent 16 1/2 years up dare in da U.P of Michigan so I know your in for a huge weather adjustment down here.:eek:oooh:

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :big_smile: WELCOME TO THE BOC. GREAT PLACEYOUR GONNA LOVE IT. A LOT OF GOOD PLACES DOWN THAT WAY. DEPENDING ON WHAT PART OF ST CHARLES YOU LIVE IN. GIVE ME A PM SOMETIME MAYBE WE CAN GET TOGETHER SOMETIMEAND DO SOME FISHING .

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Welcome to the BOC, Cpalombo!

Gosh... I was not sure if you'd actually sign up or browse for a while! Its very good that you joined. Now you'll have some idea of what the heck Im talking about when I carry on at the holidays about this mysterious catfish website... for hours and hours.

These guys should do well to take care of you. I havent been steered wrong yet here with respect to fishing.

WARNING: this place is addictive. :lol: :dribble: :dribble:

ALSO....
    :0a17:
    Tight lines, Brother.

Sal

13. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I live in Quincy,Il. It's about 1 and a half away. If I was you I'd go to Alton,Illinois and fish their dams on the Mississippi. The New World record blue was caught there. It's pretty famous.

14. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Clearly Chris IS related to Sal the Notorius; :crazy: but I say we shall not hold that against him. After all, Sal himself admits to droning on endlessly at holiday get togethers for family. Hopefully Chris will find some BOC brothers in the St. Charles area with some good info, and get some straight info on the world, too! :big_smile: Welcome, Chris!

15. lonchr

lonchr New Member

State:
    MO
    welcome to BOC. Mark Twain Lake is a nice place to Fish.

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

Larry, think of it this way though... Have pity on the poor creature. He's had to endure me for more than 30 years! Thats gotta be worth a fishing trip right there.... or an executive pension... or at least a comemorative oven mitt.

You have only had to deal with me since at most june of 2004.

17. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Thanks all for being very helpful. My first try will be on Satureday. I have not yet found a partner to go out with. One guy from Chesterfield did offer to come with, but i can not message him back until I post a few more time and get "points". If you are that guy, email me at chrispalombo@hotmail.com so that we can set a time to go.

Will buy a throw net this week. Sounds like wing dams are the ticket. I need to get some 20 lb line on my big water reels. I will give it a shot and see what I can learn.

I am a bit nervuos of takingmy lower unity off on a wing dam. Not sure how to ride a big river yet. Maybe that will call be clearer after Satureday.

CP

18. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Sal Jr

I want to get a few things off the Queen Mary and trade you for stuff on El Conquestadore. There are some white rod holders called "Pro Series" in there. I spent $30 each. Will trade for a lesser model that fits the same base.

Also, I need my fish finder. Can not find it. Look around.

CP

19. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    chris your lower unit will be fine most of the wingdams are above water and afew might be jst below the surface but you can see them. just swing wide around the tip. and if youre throwing a net i would get my bait from a small feeder creek rather than around the dams if your by your self its going to be harder to keep control of the boat, and its safer.

good luck

20. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Thanks,

I am going to buy two throw nets today. What size should I get?

CP