just moved to Indianapolis from northern Ky

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by kykatattack, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    looking for someplace or someone to fish here in indianapolis or close by if anyone knows the spot to fish up here let me know thanks

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC! Lets see, you've got Eagle Creek Reservoir to the northwest, White River down the middle, Giest Reservoir to the northeast, to name a few close to town. You have Lake lemon and Lake Monroe further south, Raccon and Cagles Mill Lake further west. Theres lots of places to fish within a short drive of Indy. Check out the Indiana DNR website for more details and locations.

3. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    River bear said most of our local resevoirs around here but you can also launch on the white river at 29th 30th street downtown, southport road, off 67 south in numerous places and all over the river.

4. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What side of Indy do you live on ?

5. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to Indy Robert! I`m from the eastside. Walbash and Crazyjet mentioned quite a fue close buy ,also Monroe Reservoir south about 1 hour, Brookville east about 1 hour. Theres a fish expo this weekend at westside bait & tackle this weekend Fri. 12-7, sat. 9-6, sun. 9-5. Maybe get some good info there to help ya. I`m going to go sat. afternoon, maybe see ya there. :0a25:

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The guys are right. Best bet is to go to the First Annual Fishing Expo on the west side in Indy this weekend. Nothing there but people with similar interests. If you google a map it's easy to get to from I-65. Being from Kentucky make sure you brush up on your Hoosier jokes before you come.
    :smile2:

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish from the 16th st dam on the white river all the way down to martinsville and sometimes even further all the way to Williams dam..., I live 5 mins south of Indy... there ia some good fishing around

8. captain kirko

captain kirko New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Robert,

Not certain what area you are goin' to target?

I have fished giest reservoir the last 3 years, STAY AWAY...very low water levels. Then you might do well?

If you are targeting lakes, Monroe is going to be your best bet starting out this spring, look deep on the north shore.

If rivers, the white will offer plenty of opportunities around some of the dam areas.

Bluegills appear to be the preferred baits for the river dam areas.
    Stink or canned dogfood appears to be the go to favorite for the lakes.

When you plannin' goin out to try?
    Let us know how it goes.

**Remember to help the poor and the old for it is you whom will be repaid**

9. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im living in lawrence close to pendelton pike and oaklandon i have my boat back in KY 300 yards off the Licking River and 10 minutes from the Ohio River thinking about leaving it their but i am looking for 14 ft john boat with 9.9 or similar motor for the lakes up here if anyone knows or sees 1 let me know or if you have room in yours i am always game for some whisker hunting thanks all ill probally check out geist resevoir since its close to the house seen it couple weeks ago what species of cats does it hold Blues shovels channels? thanks 1 nce again

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well the White River is high now so thats out of the question but there are a few lakes that produces some good fish.. but from my experiance its still a little early in the year

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Robert, welcome to Indy. I'm from the NE side of town too and have fished Geist off and on through the years. There's very little public access so a boat is just about a necessity. There's A LOT of channel cats in there, some good sized ones too. Average size though is about 5-8lbs but I've seen some 18lb+ come out of there. There's also flatheads in there, but they are few and far between. I've only caught one and that was at the park at the north end of the lake by the bridge (I think its Florida Street?), was about 13lbs, caught it on a live sunfish. Wish I was more familiar with the lake from a boat standpoint, but I've really only fished from the park and from the causeways.
    There is some good fishing on about the first 2miles stretch of Fall Creek below the Geist Damn, I've pulled several 10lb+ channels out of that section and saw a guy catch a 19lb flathead on a rubber worm there once. If your targeting flatheads though, White River is the place to go.