Just maybe more US Oil

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Baitkiller, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
  2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm not against drilling on the OCS, but there's a lot of misunderstanding, half-truths, and outright lies swirling around this issue.

I can't see this lowering the price of oil, which is a global commodity, traded on world markets. US oil producers are businessmen, not patriots, and they are going to sell their product for the highest price possible.

The corollary to this is, they will do nothing that will depress the price of their oil, meaning they will maintain production at levels that will insure high prices. Just like OPEC.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes oil is sold on the world market in US dollars.

When US companies sell US Oil drilled and shipped with US workers, refined by US workers it helps bring up the value of the US Dollar on the global/world market causing the price to drop for us US citizens due to the rise in value of the US Dollar.

It also helps the speculators to keep it lower in price due to more supply and seeing that the USA is willing to take care of our own needs.

IF one would want Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia etc., etc. to be much richer one should be against doing this.

:wink:

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Gotta agree with Katmandeux %110. Increasing US oil production will help us out a tiny bit in the short run, but we are going to run out of oil some time soon no matter what. We should not allow the production of oil from any source to distract us from what is probably the single most important issue facing the US this century (and the world for that matter) which is the development of alternative energy sources and the diversification of energy production. Right now the handful of oil companies have us all by the short ... well you get the idea. If we have a dozen different sources of energy and 100's or thousands of producers, then we will be out of the control of the monopolies - both US oil companies and foreign oil. Sorry to sound like a conspiracy nut, but I have to believe that we could have all been enjoying cheap, plentiful energy a long time ago, except that the oil companies have done all they could to prevent it.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I'd believe "Big Oil" befrore the Libs in our congress....here is their two sides!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUaY3LhJ-IQ

Our goverment has done this over and over again and it is not new.

"Woodrow Wilson created the first official propaganda department in the US.
    A week after Congress declared war on Germany, Wilson created a government apparatus whose sole purpose was to lie to the American people, the first modern ministry for propaganda in the West. It was called the Committee on Public Information CPI and was led by journalist George Creel.

Edward Bernays, an adviser to Wilson and participant in CPI operations, characterized the mission of CPI as the “engineering of consent” and “the conscious manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses.”

A typical poster for Liberty Bonds read: “I am Public Opinion. All men fear me!…f you have money to buy and do not buy, I will make this No Man’s Land
    for you!”

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Might not be a lot or may be more than we though. What ever, it'd be more than we been doing. I say DRILL, DRILL! Then on to Alaska's waste land.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally i think we should drill and also gouge these oil countries with higher grain and food prices. We can walk but they can't drink oil. Which holds the greater value?

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yeah!

Freekin' Canadians...that'll teach 'em!

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can see a different side ,I am in favor of drilling,But I have seen much drilling close to my home over the past 20 yrs. no PUMPING. and EPA ain't gonna relax an let any more new refinery's be built ,So we will be right back at Square one,High oil ,High gasoline and diesel. no problem solved.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
  11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you believe what the politicians tell you, you will come away thinking that we are getting most of the oil from the middle east. That just isn't true.
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...ons/company_level_imports/current/import.html

Regardless of drilling, it is long past time to look at other sources of energy. We need to face the facts. The WORLD is running out of oil. Even the new oil company ads on TV state that we "have enough oil AND natural gas to power 60 million cars for 60 years!" That does not account for heating oil and fuel for power plants, and it does not account for the population boom that is happening right now, and there is no way to predict how much oil our war machines will need. Drilling will not solve our problems. We need to find ways to severely reduce our oil consumption.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Just for conversations sake lets say that the world would totally run out of every drop of oil and all the natural gas in the NEXT TEN YEARS!!

?? Would we be running our nation on ethanol?? Hydrogen Gas?? Batteries charged from wind, nuclear and solar power??

Or would it possibly be coal??

http://www.clean-energy.us/facts/coal.htm

My guess ethanol has shown what it does to the world market food supply and its prices.

Wind and sun power would .....??

Nuclear and coal are hated by loud groups here in the US!

IF the libs don't want coal they better start screaming "DRILL DRILL DRILL"!

:wink:

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Texas is begging for grant money to hire more people to do the job of issuering out drilling permits. They cant keep up. All they need is someone to stamp a peice of paper cause all the laws are in place to drill. Nothing holding them back except pernit stampers. Dont have the money to hire the folks to let it happen. All our money is going else where.
    yelp, plenty of legal drilling can be done here on top of the biggest oil boom in Texas going on now. So why not let it happen. Where is the money to hire the people to stamp a permit. Seems record profits can cough up something.
    I guess one excuse is as good as another.

oil price is not coming down much. It will a little. Control of it, stock holders is what the big pic is about. then name your price.

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got buddies working on the, I think its called, haynes shale line, that runs from Texas to Mississippi and parts of Arkansas. it has enough oil and gas to last way past our life time
    and that is just the ice breaker of it. And like I said, Texas is drilling big time.
    What is the hurry to get all this oil rapped up.
    Cant tell me more drilling is going to help oil price.

there is no reason for oil price to be like it is today with the silly excuse's nor is there any reason to relax many of the clean up laws for record profits makers that some day, will be passed onto tax payers.

15. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I think all the money we're spending on these wars in Iraq and Afganistan has somekind of effect on everything, we need to quit screwing around with these wars and finish them before it bankrupts this country, we have the means to end these wars pretty quick and I'm not talking nuclear, but I am talking bombs, missles and anything else that can be dropped from the air or launched from ships, we're basically not even using half our military, ie. Navy and Air Force, I say bomb these countries into submission and if that means killing every living sole in these country's so be it. I promise you I won't miss any of 'em, I'd just call it preventitive maintenance.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    ..."it has enough oil and gas to last way past our life time"

I think that is part of the problem. Sure, we have enough oil to last until us old farts are gone, but chances are that our children and their children will see the end of the supply. A lot of the same people that yell drill, drill, are the same ones that are worried about American security, "disarming America", and foreign invasions. The faster we use up our own oil, the sooner our war machines grind to a halt. Unless someone designs a nuclear fighter jet and a solar tank, we had better start thinking about what will happen when the oil runs out.