Just lost my PB

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hereflattieflattie, Jul 21, 2009.

1. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just got back from fishing at lake Jacomo and I just lost the biggest Flathead I will ever lay eyes on. I was using a 8" Green Sunfish and my clicker started clicking slowly at about 3:30AM. I was using a 8/0 Gamakatsu circle and engaged the reel after 1bout 30 seconds and the fight was on. The fish took about 100 yards of line on the first run and then it was like I was hooked to a huge log that just kept a zig zagging back and forth. I slowly gained line on it but when I would get about 50-75 yards of line back, he would take another 50 or so. This happened 4 times or so. About 4:45, I got him about 20 feet from the bank. Shad started skipping out of the water everywhere. I just had to get this fish in.
    I got him to about 5 foot from the bank and he came up. My buddy shined the flashlight on him, Big mistake, he went absolutely berzerk. This fish was huge. He started frying drag and then came up again about 20 feet out. In my estimation, the fish was at least 6 foot in length, Maybe longer. The size of its head was enormous, In my estimation, it was at least a foot and a half wide. I am not one to tell fish stories but this fish may have gone well over 100lbs. In fact, I know it did. Now I was shaking and beat.
    I started to get him near the bank again and then he rolled and then literally flipped over soaking both of us. He made one more run and then it happened, my drag seized. I held on as my rod doubled over. The first 2 guides closest to me popped right off the rod and then snap. The 30lb Trilene big game couldn't hold. The line snapped.
    This is something I will never forget. I have never felt a fish so strong nor one that looked to be as big as me, and I'm 6'3. My buddy was in disbelief. He said he guessed this one at 125-150 but since neither of us have never seen a fish this big, we were in shock. It was a little after 5am now. I fought this fish for an hour and a half.
    I will never know just how big he was but to those who fish Jacomo, there is one heck of a Flathead in there. .I would love to see him someday

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the report. I know there is some big ones in there but I didn't relize that big. Hope you get a hook in him again some time. If not maybe I will!! LOL

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bummer ya didn't get your hands on it but i'm glad ya had the fight. Guess i need to find out where this place is located.:wink:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Just a stones throw out my back door John!!! :wink: You should of stopped by. You wasn't to far from my house or the farm!!

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for the post. That must have been one awesome fish for sure.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i feel for ya brother.

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That sucks! Sorry to hear about your misfortune...but now ya KNOW he's there, just waiting for you. :wink:

8. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    what kind of reel were you using?

9. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    I was using an Shakespeare Tidewater Spinning reel and an Uglystik Cat rod. Haven't even looked at the reel to see what went wrong. I have never had a problem with those reels.

10. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I know that in Blue Springs Lake a 75 pound flat was found when they shocked the water or whatever they do earlier this year. I was told by the captain that both Jacomo and BS has a strong flathead population. BS having some nice one's and Jacomo having some very big ones. They were a little shocked to find that 75 though. I have been catching flats in BS the past week. <lol> nothing huge and surely nothing like what you had on the line. However, I have caught more than a few with the biggest going ten pounds.

Thats a bummer that you didn't get to land him. However, thats one fight I would have love to have for sure and you at least got to see him:big_smile:

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Blue Jay when are we heading out that way?

12. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Wow thats crazy... Hopefully you'll get em'...Yea I learned the hard way that cats DO NOT like flashlights also.

13. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, there are some big ones in there. They are scattered throughout the lake though. I'm over the loss somewhat. If the reel wouldn't have messed up, I would be showing you some pics. I have no doubt it would have shattered the Missouri state record. It made my Flat in my avatar look like a 30 pounder and it was 62. I think someone will pull a monster out of one of our local lakes around here. Theres plenty of deep water and food for em to get huge.

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It's a cool story. If you're really fighting a fish for an hour, you want a saltwater reel. No snags at all? I'm suprised you didn't get busted off earlier.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish the Mo river and somtimes I just dont win fishen flats or blues even with 90lb line. Good ya got a feel and look @ a monster flat. Ya know his area now. They somewhat will stick around fish it again in a few weeks with good size baits and be ready. Sounds like ya found a good spot for em.

16. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes it does happen. the last time welder and i fished it happened. dam line allways breaks at the worst possible moment.