Just in time for the weekend - Gardner Lake depth map

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KBSJayhawk, Sep 1, 2006.

1. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Attached, for your viewing pleasure, our latest water depth map of Gardner Lake. It's color-coded by depth in feet - if anyone prefers a traditional line-time contour map, I can generate that too. But hopefully this will be of interest/use to someone......

Cheers,
    Mark Jakubauskas
    Kansas Biological Survey

Pardon the rotation - the forum only allows images that are 500 x 400, and Gardner is a long , thin, north-south lake that fits better as a 400x500 !

Attached Files:

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Mark,

Thanks very much for this. We were sitting on the bank there last weekend talking about the depth - we knew Gardner was deep, but we wondered how deep and where. Very interesting!

3. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Cool, do we have a expert amongst us? (I know some of you guys are experts at catching fish.)

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks For This Map It helps a whole lot

5. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Very interesting. Is that chart going to be available for sale anywhere? How about similar charts for other lakes in KS?

6. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Currently we have them for Lone Star, Carbondale, Olathe, and Gardner, and are doing about a lake every two weeks or so. Probably won't be for sale, but I'll be posting them on a public website, and I could do a limited number of hardcopy printouts in letter or poster size for a lake.

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Is it possible to download a bigger map via ftp somewhere?

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, that is really a great fishing tool, thanks. Any plans in the future for doing Milford Lake, or is it to big of lake?

9. waltywalt

waltywalt New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey that is really cool of u to do that

10. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    To reply to Catfish Fever's question, no lake is really too large to run the depth mapper on. The only limitation is time and money ! (I'd sure like to get Wildlife and Parks to contract with us to start doing more of the state lakes...anyone have contacts in KDWP ?). We won't be doing Milford Lake very soon - at least within the next 6-9 months - but I still welcome any and all suggestions for lakes to put on our list. All things equal, I'd like to do lakes that are of interest/value to someone, so keep those suggestions coming.

11. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I would like to see Louisburg Middle Creek.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what would an estimate of the cost be to do Milford Lake? Ya never know, just might be enough folks that fish this lake that'd be interested in getting it done.

13. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hmmmmm......big lake, that. We estimated that Clinton or John Redmond would take us at least 5 full days of lake time, not including post-processing. Milford's a lot bigger than that. One state agency estimated the cost of doing bathymetry on Clinton at anywhere from $25,000-$50,000, so Milford could be estimated at even more. Small lakes, like Gardner, Carbondale, Olathe, and such that are 500 acres or smaller are a lot faster and easier - and thus cheaper - to do.

14. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    KCCATS - Should have the website with larger downloadable maps up real soon. I'll post a notice as soon as possible. Also, we're talking about doing a print run of the Gardner Lake map for distribution. Details as that develops.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Wooooeeeee!, thanks for the info Mark, I just don't think there'd be THAT many people interested.:lol: I figured it'd be expensive BUT. . . . . Thanks again.

16. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, have faith, brother....maybe sometime in the near future the state or the Corps will decide it's a priority and send us out there to map it........

17. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    well Mark,ive got 5 on it:lol: im sure Jim and Jerald would kick in a few bucks.gotta start somewhere:big_smile: that map of gardner is pretty neat!what is the process in making a map like that?do you have to cover every square foot of water to get the right read or is the sonar you use like a wide range sonar?it sounds like you have a pretty cool job

18. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Mark, you are doing an outstanding job. I'm sure that any lake that is
    charted can be used by someone. Keep up the good work, and hopefully
    KDWP or the COE will get onboard.