Just how weak is the ACC?

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by Indigo Flats, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
  2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV

I don't think any of the conferences should. 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, and so on for the BCS bowls. No automatic bids. Playoffs would be even better IMO.

4. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah. What he said. I also don't think that a certain conference should be limited in its amount of bids. Look at what happened with Kansas and Mizzou last year. The top 8 teams should get the top 4 bowls. Some conferences are stronger than others, and it changes every year.

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The ACC definitely doesn't look good from what we've seen so far. I'll be glad when we finally get a playoff, I just hope it is not too many years away. I think the final BCS poll should be used to seed the playoff, whatever conference they're from.

6. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    yeah the acc looked pretty bad, if you think about it they have since the fall of florida state and miami. va tech and bc have been the best but matt ryans gone and we saw what happened to va tech, and clemson will be the same until the get rid of bowden. i live about 15 min from clemson so ive seen first hand the bad coaching, just like saturday night.

7. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    The problem with the polls is that they go by won/loss records and do not consider strength of opposition.

Look at last year's national champion--LSU. They lost two games in the tough SEC but won the national championship game by two touchdowns.

They defeated the ACC champion, Virginia Tech, 48 to 7. Virginia Tech went on to build an impressive won/loss record in the weak ACC. They ended up ranked #5 and winning the ACC championship which resulted in their receiving a BCS bowl invite only to lose to #8 Kansas.

Georgia defeated the then undefeated and 10th ranked Hawaii team 41-10 in last year's Sugar Bowl. Hawaii ended up ranked 17th for the year even though the Georgia game revealed just how good (or bad) Hawaii really was.

The only way to determine a true national champion is to have a play-off system with AT LEAST the top 20 teams invited to participate. This would help the teams that are in tough conferences and have 2-3 losses.

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    another great week by the acc:roll_eyes:

9. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think there is plenty of quality basketball coming out of the ACC!lol:smile2::smile2: