Just How Low is Lake Moultrie? See For Your self..

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zivetor, Sep 7, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Hey Fellow BOC,

Just wanted to share some awesome photos of Lake Moultrie I took today. I took some awesome pictures of the lake while the level was low. Not sure how often the lake gets this low, but thought I would take an opportunity to catch it on film while I had a chance. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I took these from the Pinopolis side looking across the lake toward Hatchery and Cross... I found what I believed a few fish beds..

Enjoy

Lenny

Attached Files:

2. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Here is some dried out beds and Nice Cypress Tree photos on the Lake..

Enjoy

Lenny

Attached Files:

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    great pics,thanks for sharing

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Whoa! That is crazy. Did you pick up any sinkers? Thanks for the pics.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Lenny. All those stumps are part of what makes for great fishing; and keeps the boat repair shops going, too. :wink: This is the reason we always caution newcomers to the lake about learning your way around, and taking it slow and easy....
    BTW, send me the coordinates for those beds, but keep it a secret.

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Like Aaron said, now would be a great time to rack up on lures and floats people have hung up on all those stumps! Can't beat free fishing stuff.

7. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Mr. Tommy,

I will use general directions for now to help you reach the map I have stashed.. Go to the pinopolis dike, when you get there follow it due west, when you see the series of cypress trees to your right, turn right and go down the dike wall, when you reach the lake bed, wade in the ankle deep water toward the cypress trees until you reach them. Once you do, turn left at the first stump you come too. Just north of that stump you will see an old tire, just east of the stump. When you get here, reach in the tire and you will find a bottle that has the coordinates to get you to the fish beds.. If you get lost, give me a call.. LOL GOOD LUCK..

Lenny

8. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    I never thought about looking for lures and sinkers, but that is a great idea.. There was a ton a drift wood that would make awesome wall mounts, or what ever else you can use drift wood for. It definately gave me a new perspective on how fish hang our under stumps.. If you look at the fish beds, they were all on the Northwest side of the stumps.. I wonder if those were bream beds, or bass beds, or shell cracker beds, or catfish beds, or turtle beds, don't know, but it was an awesome sight.. I have a couple of picture I am having trouble uploading.. I will work on it..

Lenny

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I wonder how long it will take for the water to rise to normal levels :sad2:

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its sad to see the lake that low because of lack of rain. It doesn't bother me when they bring the lake down but for iy to dry up its heartbreaking.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the picture. I love Cypress Trees, they're so neat looking.

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Got it! Thanks. :big_smile:

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Early, and I do mean very early this spring, some of our lakes were as low as 20 ft low. Less than a month later, they were all at least normal, if not 10-12 ft high.

14. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I caught some pretty good blues in those same stumps and trees back in April, then it was about 3-4' deep, I think all of S.C. needs some rain!

15. Yeah,this low water is has put me out of commision far a while. The pontoon boat is tied to the dock at the lakehouse in Marion. Doesn't really need to be because it is high and dry on bottom. Almost 5' low. This past weekend
    i had to cleanup all the grass around the dock w/ a weedeater:eek:oooh:. Didn't even need rubber boots.

16. hoosierdaddy47250

hoosierdaddy47250 New Member

State:
    Madison,indiana
  17. hoosierdaddy47250

hoosierdaddy47250 New Member

State:
    Madison,indiana
    Sounds like whats going on at Lake Cumberland , 20 feet lower than usual

18. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Here is a couple of more cool pictures.. Hope you like them..

Lenny

Attached Files:

19. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Here is a couple of pictures of Atkins Boat Landing and the West Dike Boat landing by pinopolis. If your familiar with these boat landings you can see how low they really are.. Needless to say, I can't even put my jon boat in at these landings.. I might be able to put a kayak in.. Or maybe just wade around in the shallows.. Enjoy

Lenny

Attached Files:

20. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Lenny,
    Thanks for the pictures, I had plans on going tomorrow and I mostly use Atkins.:confused2: I guess I'll try and find another, I guess I could always put in at the tail race and catch my bait then go through the locks, But man that's slow entering the lake. We will see.