Just How hot Is It!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by pop pop, Jun 8, 2008.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    There are some of us guys that are hard core to the bone. No matter how Hot it gets. We will not abandon the daylight bite for the comfort of night temps. I'm one of them.

I went fishing the other day at a plump 265 Lbs. After 8 hours of cat smacking I weight 254 lbs:crazy:. And I never stopped drinking fluids. Water and Gatorade.
    So I'd like to remind all my brothers to Stay Hydrated!!!! :wink: The temps this week are dangerous for those who are not. If you start to feel real bad, Leave! There is always another day.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Very well said!!!

You need to be taking in a lot of water just standing outside in this weather, and even more when working.

Be careful out there folks. :wink:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was on Lake Moultrie Friday afternoon: no wind, heat index above 105, bimini top up, but miserably hot. I drank several bottles of water, and some gatorade, but finally quit fishing and started searching out new spots for future. :tounge_out:

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree totally, also.

One potential effect of dehydration:
    If you have never had a kidney stone, believe me, you don't want ot try it!!!

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I hear ya Doug, Its hot. We had 13mph winds the other day with the 97f temps and I felt like a piece of jerky when I got done fishing.

If the bite is slow I jump on in, LOL. I think I'm done until I get back from vacation. I went fishing Saturday, slept a few hours Sunday, went back out and just now got home..I'm fried to the bone !!!! Believe it or not ,eating fruit, especially any melons or cantaloupe help you deal with the heat better....sure wouldn't hurt to try ; )~

-Jim-

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <There are some of us guys that are hard core to the bone. No matter how Hot it gets.>

You described me so well! :)
    BB in SC

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Yeap Bill! My wife calls it crazy,stubborn and hard headed. :smile2:She means it in a good way. She just worries about me because she loves me. But given the choices she said. Hard core to the bone sounds better:smile2:.

8. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mercy, let it cool a bit as I will be in Santee S.C. for the last half of June, have at least three trips on the lake booked. Even for an OKIE that sounds terrible. I also will never give in to the night fight. The two biggest fish I have ever landed were at noon and 1 pm. Go figure. I love Santee-Cooper and the great catfishing there.

Keep them lines wet
    MrWhiskr

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doug thanks for the good advice. We all need to adhere to it.

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

water & gatorade???....you???....sounds like a "case" of man cola abandonment:wink::smile2:

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Bottled water $1.00 , Bottled Gaterade $1.50 Me abandon "Man colas"????:crazy: :eek:oooh: Now thats priceless Foothills!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

There's a time for water. There's a time for Gatorade. But there's always time for Man Colas.:big_smile:

12. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just carry a loaf of bread, catch a bream, put some hotsauce on it and you're ready!

Just remember.... If you enjoy your brew, be careful! Its a great dehydrator! Like the others said water and gatoraide is a MUST if your drinking bug lite.

later...
    Ron

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I used to fish in the heat but my health just won't let me anymore. Granted I would like to die doing what I love but not just yet. Plus the fact I've had 40 some-odd kidney stones I don't want anymore of those either.

14. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Boys be carefull out there. Today we had a big scare as one of my co-workers just went limp and did a face plant onto a rebar mat we were tying. He went into convulsions and three of us carried him off unconcios. Layed him down called 911 and started putting cold packs on him. He started regaining conciosness just as EMS arrived but still didn't know where he was or who he was. They took him to the hospital to find it was not dehydration that caused the collapse but Heat Exaustion. Scary, let me tell you. So stay hydrated but also take it a little easier out there, it can jump on your back in a hurry in this heat.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Even with all the heat I had to go fishing on Lake Wylie Monday. It was 95 by 11:00am with very little. Water temps were 89-90 on the main lake and 98-100 on the South Fork River.

Miserable heat and all it paid off being out there. A total catch of 47 catfish from 6:30am-12:30pm.

I think I drank 3-4 bottles of water and the bimini top really helped out.

Remember, if you plan to be out in the heat start consuming the water ahead of time, even a couple of days in advance. Also, don't wait until you are thirsty to start drinking water. Once your body feels thirsty you are in early stages of dehydration and fighting an uphill battle.

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Excellent advice, Dieter! I am notorious for waiting until I am dizzy and light-headed before I remember to drink something :crazy:

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Also a headache is another warning. I'm a wuss since I haven't worked out in the heat. By 11am I'm abut ready to pas out, LOL.

-Jim-