Just had to go fishing...

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by tkishkape, Jan 3, 2009.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Went to Highway 10 Landing about noon, then began the search for shad. There were none in the usual haunts, so I started using my senses. The wind was strong out of the north, kicking up whitecaps on the Arkansas and into a small cove. I threw my net and when it had sunk to the bottom, it became very heavy when the handline was pulled. The cove was deep and the shad were thick. I got almost two gallons of shad in one toss. They were dumped on ice in the cooler. They will be good for at least two more days unless they thaw out.

Good thing I got a charter tomorrow to help use the shad before the get soft. Any left-over too-dead shad will be ground up in an old food chopper, packed and sealed in old coffee cans and frozen in the deep freeze.

What for? I like to use a seriously perforated 5 gallon bucket as a chum bucket when fishing for winter blues. The frozen shad gruel is placed in the chum bucket and hung over the side. As the chum thaws out, it leaves a stinky slick and a trail of shad scales in the water. It's kinda like Taco Bell having a 30 minute "Everything Free" sale. Just put out fresh bait and hang on!

Oh yeah... after catching such a netful of shad, I simply decided that I was tired enough and went to the ramp. :sad2:

2. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Good Idea Albert. I am gonna try it.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Whatcha gonna try? Icing the shad or going to the ramp?:smile2:

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Caught your bait and just went home...guess your getting soft in your old age there Albert.:tounge_out::smile2:

5. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Pulling in that many shad in one net might wear a man out, never had that many at once myself.

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Soft? Naw... maybe old, fat and slow, but not soft (except for that roll around the middle...):crazy:

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I just got home from fishing Grand Lake for the first time, I got 10 fish. IF you want to call the one walleye and 9 catfish on some shad that we gor from the bait shop there in Grove.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Lol, that would probably do it. :smile2:

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I don't blame ya Albert....a guy needs to rest after chasing bait around all over hell and back:wink::tounge_out::eek:oooh: Ya know we used to not have to launch a boat to get bait in the winter...it's a shame...& a lot of work:cool2:

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Good stuff. I will have to try that.

11. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    All of it, catching 2gal. of shad, icing it, freezing it, chumming it, and heading back to ramp. Seems like we are forgetting to do something while we are out there on the water? Huh? I just can't think of it. Maybe on the ride home it will come to me. :smile2::wink::cool2: LOL!

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great tip, and one I had been considering. It seems on the Great Pee Dee river where we fish, a chum bucket is more of an attractant for gar and turtles. I can see where it might be great on a lake or bay. I was thinkin' of grinding shad/mullet/bream/herring up, and putting them a gallon milk jug with a tad of water, and then freezing it. Then you can just tie a rope to the jug handle, and lower it down. 'Course frozen blocks of ice/fish would probably float, so I guess I would have to weight it somewhat. The whole chumming concept is sure 'nuff another angle to increase success. Reps out to ya!

Bill in SC

13. Bullheaded

Bullheaded Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    Thanks for the information, cant wait to try it

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome... and have a fantastic experience reading all of these posts... Some are bullshirt, some are outright lies, but every once in a while, there's a bit of treasured information to hold onto!

15. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Should one expect anything else from a group of fishermen? :wink:

I'm new here too...unbelievable amount of information shared here!

16. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    pretty good idea........might have to try it if the wife will let me have a little more freezer space........for some reason she doesnt understand why i freeze bait:confused2:

17. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Now Albert, I thought ALL of these posts were gospel truths!!!!!! YOU MEAN I HAVE BEEN DECEIVED???:crazy:

18. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome, Ron! Glad to have you aboard... Lurk a little, post a lot! We're all friends here.