Just got zapped!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ozzy, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Out of nowhere it started raining sideways like it does here in the desert. I called the dog in and shut the door and there was a lighting bolt and I felt a tingle over my body and hear something crack upstairs. That was a little to close for me. :crazy:

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Doesn't count till you smell the hair burning!!!:smile2::smile2:

I am surprised you still have a functioning computer.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm glad you're okay.

I was waiting out a T-storm in my tent about a month ago, dry, snug, and smug, feeling really zen, when it occurred to me, my tent was on a little knoll, under some big white oaks...just exactly where they tell you not to be. Killed the mood, big time.

Again, glad it was only close.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Dam, I'm glad you're ok. Thats too close for comfort. You're a very lucky dude!!!:crazy::wink::cool2:

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That was the first thing I checked. I was a audio engineer and I have a $300.00 Furman power conditioner that I kept just for that purpose.
    :wink:

Attached Files:

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    It must have contacted the aluminum window frames that I was standing under from what I can figure. The storm lasted about 10 minutes and blew over. Typical for around here. It dont rain it floods.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Glad your ok.
    I've had that feeling. Blinded by the light. I jhave done some high stepping back to the house. LOL.
    kind of makes a man walk the line for a while.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Is the dog OK? Just Kidding, glad your ok. Mother nature is purty powerful.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The dog high tailed it in the bedroom under the covers. Just went and started the truck since its under a aluminum car port. Seems alright so far. Well down to 3 lives now, LOL

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Don't stand near open doors or windows :tounge_out:! Well, unless ya gotta get the dog in :big_smile:. Glad you're okay Mike.

I got a l'il tingle myself the other day. I'd just gotten out of the shower and it started to storm; was standing at the sink/mirror combing my hair. The water heater is in there, directly beside the sink, and I had my left hand on it. I've done that a hundred times before, but not when it was storming. Big BOOM and then zip, some current ran up my arm. Felt just like when I accidentally stuck my finger in a lamp socket while changing a light bulb as a kid. :eek:oooh:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was catching more bluegills yesterday when a good one blew in. 1/2 way home i was almost blinded by a flash. it hit a tree behind the house i was passing. sure sound weird and different when its that close.:eek:oooh:

we both escape with our hair.:wink:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That was the first time I felt a zap. Sure dont want it coming any closer. Had a bolt hit a transformer behind the shop last year. Blew out the power for about 5 minutes and shook the power poles.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WOW!! Glad you weren't hurt ,Mike. I had a similar thing happen to me years ago,I jumped about a foot off the floor at my folks house,Scared the he!! outta me.

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Last tingle I got all over my body she had twins.:cool2:

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glad your OK too! I just got my phones replaced and a new surf board modem I think he called it. Best we could figure was it hit the gutter which the phone line ran just under, it was nearly burned in half. I'll bet I went two feet off the bed! lol :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When I was a kid I was looking out the bedroom window and a strike hit the powerlines about 30 feet away from me. There was a power pole right there with a tension cable. The power company said the lightning must have grounded on the tension cable. That one was really close.

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    glad to read all is well OZZY!! that sounds a little to close for comfort. rain good, lightning sucks!! :angry:

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Glad your okay Mike. I'm skeeered of lightning. I can take bout any kind of weather ther is but when lightnin starts, i gotta find a place to go.

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

ME TOO. Speaking of moms, mine has quite a healthy respect for lightning....I'd call it a phobia. As children, my sis and I weren't even allowed to use the bathroom when a storm was going on. She was afraid lightning would run up through the commode and bite us in the butt :eek:oooh:. Not good enough to turn the TV and other electrical items off, they had to be unplugged.

Of course, growing up she did see a ball of fire come down from a bare lightbulb hanging from a cord over the dinner table, a hay bale struck which proceeded to go up in flames.....and although this wasn't due to lightning (I think the wiring was too close to the pipes), the running water at the bathroom sink in her house would shock you. :crazy:

20. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you're ok Oz. I've not felt a tingle, or a zap. One time, I was at a friends hanging out in the garage while it rained. The lightning started getting real close to the house. At one point, the air was so charged up that the hair on my arms was standing up, and you could smell the ozone in the air. A tree about 30 feet away got hit. That was close enough for me.