Just got my new Grizzly Catfish Boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by okiekrawler, Apr 4, 2006.

1. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    went last night and picked up my new hull. it is a 2006 1648 grizzly. i just got the hull because i havea 25hp johnson on an 88 sea nymph hull that has seen many days on the river. cool thing about this boat is that i can custom build my boat the way i want it. i would love to hear your ideas on rigging it out. oh yeah. i am also gonna build a new trailer for it. the kids had ball practice so i didnt have any time to take pics, but i will post them as i make progress.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Congrats on the new boat! NO ideas though sorry.

3. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Congrads from here to sorry I have never owed a boat maybe someday but first have to a truck

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    congratulations on your new boat. i have owned several boats but cant help mucch with rigging. to me rigging a boat is a personel thing . what suits me doesnt fit the next guy. i will say a toho livewell aand lots of rod holders are a good investment in my opinion. and if i had the dough i would go with one of the new trolling motors that has a built in transducer for the fish finder.in process pictures always look good in the photo album .

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Slab buddy, I thought the built in transducer trolling motors was a nifty idea till a salesman clued Me in. What happens when the Molded in transducer goes bad in one of those motors????? You gotta replace or send in the darned trolling motor to get it fixed!!!! Vs just replacing transducer.

6. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Congrats on the new boat. I just picked up my first boat last Thursday:) , Bass tracker Pro Team 170TX, not a speedster, but it's mine. Had it on the water three times already, and enjoy it. Don't really have any ideas on rigging either, still trying to figure out what works best for me. It is yours, so at least you can adjust to your likings.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I have an 1860 grizzly. Had it for 3 years it has been a very good boat. Catsmith and I installed LED livewell lights throughout the boat this year and Bee Ready rod holders.

8. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i wish i had that kind of cash to spend. i'll just stick with the regular ol transducer mount. i got a floatin livewell that i like. it seems to do pretty well as a wind sock also. i was thinkin about a baitwell of some sort. and i know it will have rod holders. what else?

9. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    I have to agree with Slabmaster, rig for the way you fish...Congrats on the boat:0a23:

10. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Rodney
    I have a 2005 1654 SC. I'll try to PM you some pics. of my boat. You might be interested in my some rod holders like mine. Easy to make and easy to use!

11. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the boat man!.. Let us know how the Grizzly works out for you. I would like to have some feedback on them because I havent been around them too much. Good luck with it and rig it up for your ways of fishin! Have fun with it!

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Great boat dude! I agree with ersel about the led lights from BPS only 9.99 and gives off just enough light to fish by and not blind you. I would look into that new shoot thru the hull transducer for a fish finder. They are making one now that will go thru aluminum and are about 90 at cabelas. There is a thread about them here somewhere.

Above all else make it yours! I started from scratch on mine and each thing makes me more and more proud to show off cause I did it.

Would love to see pics along!

13. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    congrats on the new boat..like everyone else it's a matter of personal taste and choice.. what i like others don't but the led lites are liked by everybody:crying:

14. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I heard ya mention somethin about a baitwell. I have a cooler i use for a livewell all ya gotta do is buy a cooler thats the size you want. then go down to cabelas buy one of there fish saver pumps and there it is. I have never had a fish die on me yet. Ive been running my 100qt for six years. I will try to get some pictures up as soon as i figure it out. Good luck to ya.

15. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Congratulations Rodney, I have a 14 ft grizzly. I`ve had it two yrs. It` is nice and wide and deep for the Ark river. I got a 15 hp 4cycle and it pushes it 29-30 mph max whitch is fast enough for me.(slower up river 22-24). I put a floor wi carpet and cut out the rear flotation boxes for storage. I have a quick mount trolling motor mount so I can crappie fish some, then remove it for catfishing so it wont get in the way of cast net or rod holders. I have, in the library or somewhere on the BOC board step by step instructions with pictures on how the carpet was installed. I did`nt think I wanted carpet when I bought the boat, but that alum can get very hot in the sun.

16. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    hey dennis, did ya just cut the top off those boxes and hinge them or what?

17. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Be careful taking the floatation out of the boat. You need to replace it somewhere else. I put a floor in mine and got sheet foam (pink stuff) from Lowes and cut to go between the ribs and to make a flat surface. That added alot of floatation to the boat. It also made it alot quieter.

18. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    If you cut out the flotation it will void the warranty. I had the same thought myself. The only complaint I have with my Grizzly is lack of storage. I use the front cooler for storage.

19. gettin'fatter

gettin'fatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    well, a picture would help.

20. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Okie,

Congrats on the new boat! The first thing you should put on it is a winch. If you are haulin' in cats like the one in your pic then you will need it. :)

Best of luck with the new boat and I hope you land a lot of cats,
    Tom