Just got back from the E.R.!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 21, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Be careful cutting those deer, guys. I had just sharpened my skinning knives and went to the barn to cut up a couple deer. I got the hide on the first one down below the shoulders and got over confident. One more stroke of the knife and I laid my finger open. I had to go to the V.A. hospital and get a bunch of stitches in it. That will put a damper on my guitar playing for awhile!

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Sorry to hear them knife will cut you before you know it usely see blood first that the pain comes:eek:oooh:

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    sorry to hear that bro. i clean quite a few hogs and deer every year. i allways try to be extra carefull, especially when it is so cold ya cant feel it.

hope you get back to pickin those strings soon.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Hate to hear of your misfortune Billie. The stitches should help it heal faster than just a bandage.Hope it heals up soon.

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Well like my Grandma always said, it's far enough from my a$$ I won't sit on it! LOL:wink::smile2:

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My grandad use to say a dull knife was more dangerous than a sharp one. I bet you will disagree with that.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Youch, Billie! Hope it heals up quickly. Be Careful!!!

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ouch! Don't do that!!!

9. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Been there and done that :eek:oooh:
    Take care of it and heal fast.

10. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Hope it heals fast. It just takes time.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Holicow man don't you know your not suppose to try and skin yourself.
    Hope it heals quickly and leaves no scars. Be careful with those knives.

12. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thanks for the heads up on the deer cam, sorry to hear about the finger, seems like I nick my self every year but have never had to sewn up.

As part of my hunting, I always try to remember my mistakes of the past and try not to make them again, but when it comes to the knife, I don't seem to remember my mistakes until i'm bleeding all over the place.

There are 4 does on the feeder right now, cul.

13. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    you just reminded me of the countless stitches i have had over the years lol i guess i'll never learn take care of yourself brother

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, the doc said that it was a good thing it was sharp or he may have had to cut away a bunch of jagged skin. Ouch! Every time I get in a hurry, I seem to break out in leaks and screams! LOL

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sucks Billie! A buddy of mine almost sliced his thumb off a few years ago field dressing a deer. He was alone, way off in a field. Had to drive the 4 wheeler back with blood spraying everywhere, and his thumb flopping around in the wind lol.

So, last year, I got to borrow a borrowed steel mesh cutting glove. Not only did it make dressing the deer much safer, you could also grip the hide better. I liked it so much that I asked our blade supplier for work about them. I freeked when he told me how much they cost. Through them, they are $120!!! For a freekin' steel mesh glove! One glove! So, until I find one cheaper somewhere else, I guess it's out of the question. We have these fabric "cut resistant" gloves, but I don't really trust them. I would rather go without, than have a false sense of security, and end up cutting myself anyways.

Anyways, I hope you heal up good with no nerve damage, or anything like that. Gotta keep on rockin'!

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    REAL SORRY to hear that, Billie, especially with your guitar playing in the equation. I assume it was on your fretting hand as well. :-( Man, that sux. Prayers out for a speedy recovery!
    Bill in SC

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea it's my pinky on my left hand. No slide playing for a little while! Thanks for the prayers. I appreciate that. I was just sitting here learning some Elvin Bishop, "Fooled Around & Fell in Love", and trying to do it with three fingers! LOL

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Toni Iomi lost 3 fingers, and still became one of the world's greatest, and most easily recognizable guitar players. Don't fret it lol.

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    LOL, I just was gonna say that ya can play one finger slide for a spell. Duane Allman with Eric Clapton came to mind.

20. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    That is my "Desert Island Album". That's some fine guitar playing. This is the finger I wear my slide on. I learned to play slide because I broke the first two fingers on my left hand in a terrible fishing accident, and that's the only way I could play for a couple months. I'll get by. If all else fails, I can always play lap Dobro! LOL :wink::smile2: