Just got back from Bass Pro....

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by McLovin, Dec 30, 2009.

1. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well went out to bp today and did a little shopping. Ended up buying an Abu 6500 c3 at the outlet store for $60 and two new rods. Got home and was putting line on the abu and noticed the handle was a little loose or maybe just flimsy? Is this common, or easy to fix? Or should I take it back and have them look at it?

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Seems mine was like that but it was better after tightening the drag down.

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I think the are set pretty loose. A little tightening and it should be good to go.
    My 7000 c3 had to be tightened too. If it doesn't work out ok take it back and make it good. ​

4. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Tighen er up and give it some fishin action. If not satisfied, take it back:cool2:

5. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tightened the drag and it didn't seem to really help. I've never owned an abu so I may just be over reacting. It just seems to have a lot of play in the handle...in and out at the top and bottom....if that makes sense.

6. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is there another way to tighten other than the star drag?

7. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    The abu"s has a little cap and lock plate and a set screw to hold the handle tight. You can remove it and get it a little tighter. It keeps you from loosing the nut.

Attached Files:

8. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    the other thing is that the drag is loose on purpose so it stays uncompressed longer, after you are done fishing you are suppose to loosen your drags for same reason but WHO REMEMBERS THAT:embarassed:

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I think Ozman has the right idea. Remove the keeper doo-dad to access the nut on the handle, tighten 'er up and you should be good to go. The 6500c3's are quality reels, shouldn't be loose like that.

Might I suggest a Power Handle for that reel? They are awesome, a bit pricey, but an awesome upgrade in my opinion!

10. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Well that sucks, I just paid $85 for the same reel to go with a TWC rod. Ah well, had to burn a gift card...:eek:oooh:

11. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I have a friend that buys fishing gear at that outlet store and he says most of the stuff are returns and/or refurbished. I have a 6500 C3 with a power handle and it works great!

12. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to tighten it down. I may head back that way later this week. They had 2 more reals I would have liked to have. An abu 10000i and and abu 7000...both were$120 each. Does anybody know anything about the 10000i?

13. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    A buddy of mine has one he is a bank fisherman and likes it. It is a little bigger than the 7000 It seams to cast good.

14. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just got back from another trip to good old Pro Bass...lol. Bought another Abu 6500 c3 and they had Stren Super Braid on sale for $5 a spool. Bought 8 125 yd Spools of that stuff too.

15. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i love my 7000 and 120 is a good deal...The 1000i is an aesome rel...Bit to big for me but i still own one..lol

16. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I have 5 6500 c3's and never had a loose handle or any "play" in them the drags were set real loose when new though. I see you went back and bought another 6500c3 was the handle on this one "loose" like the first one from there ?? If not I would take the first one back and exchange for another. :big_smile:

17. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri

I asked the guy in the reel repair shop at BP and he said it was more than likely just the nut on the handle...I'm gonna take it off tonight and tighten it up and see if that helps. How do you like your 6500's?

18. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I LOVE them LOVE them and LOVE them, LOL. I fish the Ohio River up and down around Louisville and occasionally a little further one way or the other, and I am confident that there is NOTHING in there that I couldnt drag in on them (live fish that is, lol) If I dont get it in with them then it's because I had a poorly tied knot, drag set wrong, or "nick" in my line, "weak" hookset, etc .... NOT because the 6500's couldn't handle it. Cast wonderful and last for a lifetime with proper care I have mine fully serviced at least twice a year. Taken apart Cleaned, Adjusted, Oiled, and Greased and checked for any worn or broken parts. Guy at local bait shop does excellent work and charges $8 per reel for complete tune up(as he calls it):wink: Got one 6500 c3 had since about 92 and caught countless number of cats on and it cast and performs as well as my newest one I got this summer, only replaced a worm gear in it once.

P.S. - Welcome to the BOC brother

19. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Took the little keeper do dad off the handle, took off the nut, and put it back on straight and tight....fixed er right up. Now I just need to find a few more 6500's to buy and I'll be set.

20. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Glad you got it fixed..It i shard to beat a abu...penn are nice to..but i like my abu better!!!!Goodluck on the water with some fresh lines and reels!!!!!!!!